The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:06:48 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Xavier Montsalvatge: Orchestral Music on Chandos

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xavier Montsalvatge: Orchestral Music on Chandos  (Read 430 times)
kyjo
« on: August 29, 2012, 02:31:32 am »

This highly enjoyable and accessible Spanish composer is getting an outing on an upcoming Chandos CD. It includes the CD premiere of "Calidiscopi simfonic", op. 61 along with three other orchestral pieces, "Partita 1958", "Cinco Canciones Negras", and "Sinfonia da Requiem". The performers are the BBC Philharmonic under Juanjo Mena, whom I've never heard of before. It's not out yet on CD, but it's available as a download from theclassicalshop.net. Another one for the want list for me: I love Spanish music (especially orchestral ;D)! Here's the article about the CD on the Chandos website:

This disc, marking the centenary of his birth, features orchestral works by the composer Xavier Montsalvatge, one of the most influential musical figures in Catalan music during the latter half of the twentieth century. He explored virtually every musical form, but many of his most significant works were written after his discovery of the art of the Antilles, which spurred a fascination with West Indian music. In Cinco Canciones Negras for mezzo-soprano and orchestra he sets a varied collection of poems from the Caribbean and Spain, adopting the captivating rhythms of the West Indies. Partita 1958 was strongly inspired by the music of Darius Milhaud who was similarly influenced by Latin-American music during WWI. Calidoscopi simfònic derives from an early unfinished ballet, El Angel de la Guarda, while the Simfonia de Rèquiem is a symphonic version of the Requiem Mass with no vocal contribution until the very end of the last movement. The BBC Philharmonic is conducted by its Chief Conductor, and fellow Catalan, Juanjo Mena, with the Spanish mezzo-soprano Clara Mouriz as soloist in Cinco Canciones Negras and soprano Ruby Hughes appearing in the Simfonia de Rèquiem.

Montsalvatge is on my list of composers to catalogue, just to give you guys here a heads up (especially Colin). Just don't expect the catalogue tomorrow ;D!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: