The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:32:55 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Upcoming Toccata Classics Releases

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming Toccata Classics Releases  (Read 400 times)
kyjo
« on: August 29, 2012, 02:20:44 am »

I'm going to kick off this board by mentioning two upcoming Toccata Classics CDs just announced today on their website :)! The contents of the CDs are, as of now, unknown, but I will post them once I am able to find them out. No orchestral music, I know, but these two CDs sound appealing enough.
-Vladas Jakubenas: Chamber and Instrumental Music. Here is Toccata's article on Jakubenas:
As composer, critic, teacher and musical activist, Vladas Jakubėnas (1904–76) was one of the major cultural figures in pre-World War Two Lithuania, before his post-War exile in the USA. As a student of Schreker in Berlin in 1928–32, he initially wrote in a Neoclassical style – as most of the works on this CD attest – and was nicknamed ‘the Lithuanian Hindemith’. Back home, he began to compose in a late-Romantic, gently modernist idiom, tinged with the influence of Lithuanian folk-music.

-Buxton Orr: Chamber Music for Strings. Here is Toccata's article on Orr:
The music of Buxton Orr, born in Glasgow in 1924, was hardly over-exposed during his lifetime but has encountered even more neglect since his death in 1997. This CD takes a step in the right direction, presenting Orr’s mildly modernist, elegant and honest music in first recordings of four of his chamber works for strings.

There is another upcoming release of Rameau Keyboard Music Volume 2, but I doubt anyone here will be that interested in it ;).
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

kyjo
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 02:43:50 am »

The contents of the two upcoming Toccata CDs I mentioned have been posted on their website :):
The Jakubenas CD will include:
-String Quartet, op. 4
-Two Pictures for piano, op. 2
-Melody-Legend for violin and piano
-Serenade for cello and piano
-Prelude and triple fugue for string orchestra
The Orr CD will include:
-String Quartets 1 and 2
-Duo for baroque violin and double bass
-String Trio
 :)
Report Spam   Logged
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 06:34:54 am »

Some mouthwatering upcoming releases on the Toccata website (Toccata Pipeline to be specific):
Steve ELCOCK, orchestral music, volume 1
Ferenc FARKAS, 5th disc with orchestral music including his orchestration of Liszt's Funérailles
Bohuslav MARTINŮ, 3rd disc of his juvenile orchestral works
Joself SCHELB, volume 1 of his orchestral music! Well, Schelb composed aroud 10 symphonies and many other works. Let's hope many readers and listeners will be buyers.
Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

Times thanked: 30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 06:47:57 am »

Some mouthwatering upcoming releases on the Toccata website (Toccata Pipeline to be specific):
Steve ELCOCK, orchestral music, volume 1
Ferenc FARKAS, 5th disc with orchestral music including his orchestration of Liszt's Funérailles
Bohuslav MARTINŮ, 3rd disc of his juvenile orchestral works
Joself SCHELB, volume 1 of his orchestral music! Well, Schelb composed aroud 10 symphonies and many other works. Let's hope many readers and listeners will be buyers.
Not to mention a little piece by Sorabji...
Report Spam   Logged
mjkFendrich
Level 3

Times thanked: 17

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 08:41:53 am »

Not to mention a little piece by Sorabji...

I am eagerly awaiting its release date! Hopefully that will be soon.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: