The Art-Music Forum
January 18, 2018, 05:54:00 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare (non-copyright) recordings, and discuss all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight. To participate, simply log in or register.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Unknown Martinu

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unknown Martinu  (Read 337 times)
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 29

View Profile
« on: November 26, 2017, 11:54:19 am »

Attention please for this interesting release. Premiere recording of 3 very early Martinu scores by Toccata Classics https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077MQC5YY/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 88

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 01:40:21 am »

Interesting indeed!

I have not investigated the two previous releases in this series. Has anyone else done so??
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 51

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 11:14:20 am »

I have listened to volume 1. The performances with Sinfonia Varsovia and Ian Hobson are fine. The pieces are none of them profound, but pleasant listening, and some show very interesting pre-echos of Martinu's later style.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 02:21:01 am »

I am an idiot  I do have Volume 1 in my collection. Another of those cds bought, listened to once and promptly forgotten.

Reading about the works in Volume 3 however suggests that they will be very interesting indeed.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 10:02:35 pm »

The new disc is magnificent!

Glorious, rich, dark romantic music in a style which the composer largely abandoned: Straussian with the influence of Debussy. But music well worth revival.

Warmly and enthusiastically recommended Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Demetrius
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 12:17:53 pm »

It sounds fascinating. I do like Martinu a lot, although I haven't listened to any of his music for a good while. And I've never really heard any of the early stuff. I'll have to add that to my shopping list for when I have some spare dosh.

Of course, I now feel like I have to buy Vols. 1 & 2 as well, if only for completism's sake as it'll annoy me having a disc labelled Vol 3 in my collection on its own!  Grin

Thanks for the feedback.
Report Spam   Logged
Expi
Level 2

Times thanked: 5

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 09:01:08 am »

Nice disk. Vanishing Midnight is really a wonderful romantic piece with impressionistic influences, worth hearing. The other two pieces are not on that level, actually redundant and not relevant.  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Here is a short list of relevant british composers:
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 03:23:11 am »

Nice disk. Vanishing Midnight is really a wonderful romantic piece with impressionistic influences, worth hearing. The other two pieces are not on that level, actually redundant and not relevant.  Roll Eyes

I am delighted that you are obviously impressed by "Vanishing Midnight".

You may be less taken by the other pieces on the disc and that is of course a perfectly "proper" response. Once again however you persist in using the phrase "not relevant" (to which you now add the word "redundant").

If you have read the responses from other members to your previous posts you should be aware that the use of the phrase "not relevant" is inappropriate (or, more directly, nonsensical). Relevance by definition requires a relationship, ie relevance to what. In the context of early Martinu-the music he was writing before the influences of Stravinsky and of jazz brought about a change of musical direction-these early orchestral works, influenced by Strauss and Debussy, are exceptionally "relevant" (which is why Toccata decided to record them).

Repeatedly describing particular music as "not relevant" has irked other members, is annoying and-if continued out of some sense of amusement-is decidedly unfunny.
Report Spam   Logged
the Administration
Administrator
Level 2

Times thanked: 6

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 08:36:01 am »

you

Please remember our second rule and stick to Martinů, about whose music it is assuredly possible to say a great deal more. Thank you members.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: