The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:47:48 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Dibdin: Christmas Gambols

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dibdin: Christmas Gambols  (Read 151 times)
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2017, 08:44:15 am »

Retrospect Opera have just released a new recording of works by Dibdin, composer of Tom Bowling, two "Table Entertainments" (short operas) and some songs. It's a bit earlier than my usual period, but looks like an interesting addition from a period in British opera of which hardly anything is ever heard.

Retrospect Opera are the group that gave us Smyth's "The Boatswain's Mate", which was really professionally recorded and produced, so I have high hopes for this.

If anyone is interested in them, they have a few projects going on, all related to British opera: www.retrospectopera.org.uk.
Apparently they also have a special offer on at the moment.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 03:28:44 pm »

It's a fine enterprise, but sadly Dibdin's output was calculated to appeal to the very mainest of mainstream in his era. The advanced composers of the time were Shield, Storace, and Linley.  Probably Dibdin is interesting as social history.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 03:56:00 pm »

Retrospect Opera have just released a new recording of works by Dibdin, composer of Tom Bowling, two "Table Entertainments" (short operas) and some songs. It's a bit earlier than my usual period, but looks like an interesting addition from a period in British opera of which hardly anything is ever heard.

Retrospect Opera are the group that gave us Smyth's "The Boatswain's Mate", which was really professionally recorded and produced, so I have high hopes for this.

If anyone is interested in them, they have a few projects going on, all related to British opera: www.retrospectopera.org.uk.
Apparently they also have a special offer on at the moment.
I have the,long deleted,Hyperion recording of Dibdin's The Ephesian Matron; The Brickdust Man and The Grenadier by Opera Restor'd,and,I must say,I have found the enthusiastic performances of these pieces,highly enjoyable. Their Hyperion recording,also long deleted,of Lampe's: Pyramus and Thisbe is even better,though. I played them both,recently. So,yes,imho,I think this is quite interesting. I probably won't rush out to buy it,though;as I have to watch the pennies a bit these days!! :(
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 08:55:28 pm »

I have the,long deleted,Hyperion recording of Dibdin's The Ephesian Matron; The Brickdust Man and The Grenadier by Opera Restor'd,

Yes, I've got that one too, somewhere :-))  To describe these as 'operas' is really pushing the definition somewhat - they are really music-hall entertainments, and were presented as such in Dibdin's lifetime (at the Sadler's Wells Theatre - in the then-rowdy suburb of Islington!  Dibdin was also famous for his 'sea-battle' musical re-enactments - more famed for their theatrical effects than for their musical finery :-))  Sheridan spoofed the genre in his satire 'The Rehearsal'.

Sadly no-one at all seems interested in performing Storace's Viennese-style music?  In Vienna his pieces featured alongside Mozart, Haydn, Salieri, and Co - and he's certainly in their musical league.  Dibdin's 'sausage operas' are at the other end of the musical spectrum ;)  Storace was catering to a more refined audience at Drury Lane, far from the beer-halls of Islington - where his impresario boss, Sheridan, had some of Europe's top opera singers on staff  ("Mrs Crouch", the Prince of Wales's mistress; Anna 'Nancy' Storace, the composer's sister, and offcast mistress of Emperor Franz-Josef; and Michael Kelly, the famed Irish tenor. Later the team was joined by tenor John Braham, the new love interest in Anna Storace's life).
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: