The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:01:36 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Most beautiful Spy Story

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Most beautiful Spy Story  (Read 606 times)
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2012, 11:42:02 pm »

IMHO is "Tinker Tailor Soldier and Spy" by Le Carrè.
 :)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest2
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 02:21:13 am »

So presumably we may expect Karla to join us any day now . . .
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 10:10:43 am »

I'm not usually a fan of Kipling, but 'Kim' has rather good plotting (although the writing itself is quite ordinary). If only the British government had read it prior to the events of the past decade, they might have proceeded somewhat differently?
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 11:39:27 pm »

I was remembering Tv-Play IMHO one of the best interpretative role by Alec Guinness and as "Ripley's Game" by Wenders perhaps superior to novel.
 :)
Report Spam   Logged
t-p
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 11:56:54 pm »

May I interest people here with old Soviet movie Seventeen moments of Spring.

There are many characters there that one can still meet.

Here is another option .

Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 11:47:55 pm »

May I interest people here with old Soviet movie Seventeen moments of Spring.

There are many characters there that one can still meet.

Here is another option .

The problem with SeventeenMoments of Spring is that, to this day, it feeds the belief held by many Russians that Britain and America were working with Nazi Germany against the USSR. I have been asked many times in Moscow (where I live) by middle-class Russians (ie: educated) with good careers "which side was your country on in the war?", followed by disbelief when I answered. They believed that WW2 was exclusively an anti-Soviet war - everyone against them.  I do not think it is the majority opinion, but my impression is that it was a worryingly large minority.
Report Spam   Logged
t-p
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 12:09:36 am »

I am out of Russia for many a year as they say.
Education in Russia went down significantly.  There are even Nazi there I am told.  They don’t know their own history, but the government there is trying (I have Russian television). But I don’t have Russian citizen being stripped off it when we left .

I always knew when I was there that Americans and Russians were on the same side in this war.

We were told that British government was waiting which way the war was going to go before getting into it (I mean before crossing the channel).

We were told that at first British government (and French too I think) were hoping that Hitler will attack the USSR and destroy it. But Hitler attacked Western countries first.

Perception of how things were are changing now and I don't really know how much of what we were told is really truth. Maybe we will have to wait longer for the truth to come out. I don't really know.

People knew then that Americans were helping with food and supplies.

My friends from Russian speaking popularion of different SSR countries (different ages) here all know that United  Kingdom and USSR were on the same side in this war.

Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 05:37:18 am »

The majority of Americans I've met have no clue that the USSR was fighting on the same side in WW2, nor indeed that Berlin was taken by the Red Army.

When the ceremonies were held to mark the 60th anniversary of WW2, the Russians were not even invited to participate. This reflects a gulf of misunderstanding on the part of the oafs who call themselves 'politicians'.

Yet I'm afraid I regard both the American view of WW2 ('we saved your backsides in Europe') and the Russian view ('it excuses everything else we've done') with equal cynicism. Surely it's time to have done something else to be proud of by now? :(
Report Spam   Logged
t-p
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 02:27:00 pm »

It is interesting about Americans.
Being American myself I can say that there are different people there.
I met people who know history of America and the world and music (even not musicians ) in New York .
I was astonished.

But then there are other Americans. It is like in all countries I suppose.

Two countries are very different but they have a lot in common. I can't express exactly where the difference is.

http://www.rferl.org/content/The_Case_Of_The_Missing_Russian_Crime_Novel/1789846.html

The link is not strictly about spy novels , but there is a section there about genre. Maybe it will be interesting for members here.

Culture is very different of course. 

Amazing thing is that cold war is over in words only , but by watching Russian television and listening to the radio I can definately feel it.  Spy games are not over definately.

http://www.answers.com/topic/spy-fiction-game
There are many ideas on the subject in this post.

Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 01:02:51 pm »

Perhaps Freemantle isn't at level of Deighton,Forsyth or Le Carrè but IMHO is highly enjoyable as Miles Tripp or Geodfrey Household:
https://www.goodreads.com/series/78892-charlie-muffin
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 03:30:14 am »

Adam Hall (Elleston Trevor) :I loved "Quiller Memorandum" movie but reading other novel like "Dossier Striker" was dissatisfied ,i think that part of succesful movie is of screenplay by Harold Pinter.Later meanwhile i appreciate "Hugo Bishop" series.Sapper :despite his anti-Semitism and near fascist wiew is a good thriller writer if one don't take him too seriously.John Owen's Haggai Godin:enjoying (the main character boasts of having killed JFK).Francis Clifford: sometimes reminds Le Carrè.Ahhh, Sax Rohmer:fabolous.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: