The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:04:04 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

McCabe Symphony no. 6

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: McCabe Symphony no. 6  (Read 491 times)
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« on: November 06, 2017, 05:58:41 am »

I cannot seem to find much about McCabe Symphony no.6. Does anyone know of it?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 01:24:04 pm »

McCabe's Sixth is not the only of his symphonies to suffer neglect or to deserve to be commercially recorded (so too does his Third for example) but it is his least known. The reason is that the Symphony on a Pavane-as it is also titled- has only, to my knowledge, been performed once. That was in a concert in London given by the London Philharmonic conducted by Steven Sloane. For some reason the BBC chose not to broadcast the concert. Thus the McCabe 6th is one of a tiny handful of symphonies by leading British composers for which we do not even have an off-air recording.

The only other mature symphonies I can think of which fall into this category would be Arnold Cooke's 2nd and Anthony Milner's 3rd. Wordsworth's 6th has never even been performed
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 04:51:05 am »

Thanks so much for that information..for me it is another "missing tooth". Can we prevail on the membership to provide it?
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 07:01:31 pm »

Since the symphony has, to my knowledge, only been performed once and that performance was not broadcast I am afraid that we are not going to get it
Report Spam   Logged
Dimana
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 12:09:32 am »

There is actually a recording of the Symphony on a Pavane in existence.  John McCabe paid himself for the BBC Philharmonic under, I think, Rumon Gamba to record it, though curiously that was not linked to a record label for issue.  I have heard this recording, though I don't have a copy.  An enterprising label (Toccata?) should contact his family for permission to issue it. 
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 04:02:50 am »

Very interesting  It would of course also require the permission of the BBC and the Musicians' Union to get the recording released. I am sure McCabe's family have explored the possibilities. I wonder if Lyrita would be interested? I shall enquire.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: