The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:03:16 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Philip Sawyers (1951-)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Philip Sawyers (1951-)  (Read 356 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« on: October 24, 2017, 04:19:39 pm »

It is not unknown for me to prattle on about British symphonies and to lament the dearth of British composers writing symphonies ;)

It is therefore strange that I have never mentioned (or listed!) Philip Sawyers. Sawyers has written three symphonies. Each of these has been recorded by Nimbus. The Symphony No.3 has just been released and I am listening to it (again!). Really quite splendid work :) Anyone attuned to, say, the music of Robert Simpson should find the symphony very much to their tastes. It is a big, serious work. There may be elements which are serial but it stands in the symphonic traditions of Beethoven, Brahms, Bruckner and Mahler. The composer himself says that his own musical explorations have taken him to the "unrelenting sense of brooding and pessimism" of Fartein Valen". Now the reference to Valen initially worried me since I am not a great admirer of the Norwegian composer but the "brooding and pessimism" (which may be particularly Scandinavian) certainly does suit my tastes :)

I have the two earlier symphonies but I cannot recall them making the same very immediate impression on me as does No.3 (I shall listen to both again though!). This new symphony is however a winner in my book :) Sawyers is a genuinely fine composer who has been fortunate enough to get his music onto cd and I look forward to more from him!!!

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2017/Oct/Sawyers_orchestral_v3_NI6353.htm
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 08:51:29 am »

Agree, S3 is on my wish list. I was particularly boiled over by 'The Gale of Life' on the disc with S1 BTW.
Report Spam   Logged
relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 01:26:56 am »

I thought the Symphony No. 3 was fantastic.  Very well written and almost Mahlerian.  Especially in the slow movement.  So great to hear a major new four movement symphony with taught structure, thematic development, long thought structure with grace and elegance.  At 40 minutes, it is a substantial new work where the first movement's turbulence is transformed in the final moments of the symphony.  Highly recommended and hope for many more symphonies from Sawyers to come.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 01:57:51 am »

Wholly agree  :)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: