The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 19, 2024, 12:19:29 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Slovak Music

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Slovak Music  (Read 6499 times)
ttle
Level 3

Times thanked: 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 10:28:06 pm »

Oh, I forgot to add that the conductor is Marc Andreae. I have contacted the orchestra and shall let you know if they reply!
Report Spam   Logged
ttle
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 08:21:30 am »

Well, that was quick :D
My guess was wrong, I received a short biography of the composer who actually settled in Engadin, hence his "invisibility" in Slovak music databases, and I shall translate and post it later today.
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 10:34:42 am »

Well, that is exactly what they wrote me this morning too.
I might write to the Slovakian Radio now, but in the past they hardly ever responded
Well, its a new year for them too. I'll gibe it a try

Elroel

Report Spam   Logged
ttle
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 11:37:19 am »

Here it is:
"Juraj Farkaš was born in Bratislava in 1942 and studied piano, composition and conducting at the Conservatory of his home town between 1957 and 1962, where he was taught among others by Andrej Očenáš (composition) and Paula Pokojná (piano). After completing his studies, he was admitted in the class of the famous composer Ján Cikker at the Bratislava Music Academy. He was later employed as co-repetitor in the Opera House of the Slovak National Theatre. He also worked as the artistic director of the Folk Music Ensemble at the Czechoslovak Radio in Bratislava. During this period, he composed pieces with folk themes, arranged a number of Slovak songs and won the 1st prize in the national competition of composition for dance groups (goralský tanec). He received the Grand Prix of the Czechoslovak Radio for his orchestral piece "Incantations". Among his best-known works are the "Sinfonietta Poetica", the Second Symphony (1968, for the Prague Spring) and the Piano Concerto, as well as many chamber works, including the "Silser Impressionen" or "Musica Helvetica" (composed for the 700th anniversary of the Confederation). His works were conducted by such famous Slovak conductors as Ladislav Holoubek, Ondrej Lenárd, Pavol Bagin, Miroslav Šmíd, Josef Štelzer and others. A programme featuring the Sinfonietta Poetica by the Slovak Philharmonic Orchestra was broadcast by Slovak Television. Juraj Farkaš described himself as a modern-oriented composer, taking models such as Stravinsky, Bartók, Cikker or the Second Viennese School. For many years, Juraj Farkaš was Hauskapellmeister at the Hotel Waldhaus in Sils. He passed away at the end of 2011."
Kindly provided by Markus Straser, Manager of the Engadine Symphony Orchestra (http://www.sinfonia-engiadina.ch).
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 04:21:22 pm »

Thank you ttle. Now we're on the search for more of his compositions.
Now I hope to get my old Slovak friend to dig in the archives when he is in Bratislava.

Elroel
Report Spam   Logged
britishcomposer
Level 3

Times thanked: 36

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2013, 01:25:59 pm »

I just started listening to a few uploads of works by Slovak Composers, most of them uploads by MVS. Thank you very much!  :)
However, I had some trouble with two pieces by Jan Cikker:

Concertino for Piano and Orchestra op. 20
The file is an orchestral work, 13:38 minutes long, without solo piano. Can anyone tell me what it is?

Variations on a Slovak Folk Song (1970)
The file is identical with the Hommage to Beethoven (1969)
The link is no longer valid so I cannot verify if I messed up my uploads.

Report Spam   Logged
Wiktorio30Poland
Level 3

Times thanked: 26

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2013, 12:08:47 am »

I am not sure, what of this file, but If it woluld be possible I prove to put Piano Concertino and Variations on the Slovak Folk Songs. I don't know if my mediafire works, but maybe there will be in this januar a lot of Cikker orchestral works, maybe also 2 operas and some other works of him.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2013, 12:44:18 am »

I am not sure, what of this file, but If it woluld be possible I prove to put Piano Concertino and Variations on the Slovak Folk Songs. I don't know if my mediafire works, but maybe there will be in this januar a lot of Cikker orchestral works, maybe also 2 operas and some other works of him.

Welcome to you from me too :)

A bit of advice for you though:

It will prevent you spending time unnecessarily :) If you go to the Downloads Section on this forum and check through the thread for downloads of music from a particular country you will find out if the piece has already been uploaded to Mediafire by another member. The Cikker works you mentioned, for example, are already available here.

It will be great to get from you any music you have which is not already here.....but I know, from personal experience, how long it can take to digitise music ;D

I am just trying to save you effort in duplicating music :)
Report Spam   Logged
Wiktorio30Poland
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2013, 12:55:41 am »

Thank You Dundonnell

I spent much time in the slovak music downloads section and many others sections in this forum, and unsungcomposers. Of course I don't want to duplicate this same pieces playing by this same performers. Before I put something here i will read the whole previous posts in download section. If I will see, that I have something new, I will put it here.
Report Spam   Logged
jowcol
Level 5

Times thanked: 30

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2014, 04:36:21 pm »

Andrej Ocenas: Piano Concerto

From the collection of Karl Miller

Piano Concerto (1959)
Valeria Hodnova, piano
Bratislava RSO, Ladislav Slovak
Report Spam   Logged

All download links I have posted are for works, that, to  my knowledge, have never been commercially released in digital form.  Should you find I've been in error, please notify myself or an Administrator.  Please IM me if I've made any errors that require attention, as I may not read replies.
jowcol
Level 5

Times thanked: 30

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2014, 06:41:50 pm »

Dezider Kardos: Sinfonietta Domestica, Op. 50 (1979)

From the collection of Karl Miller

Sinfonietta Domestica, Op. 50 (1979)
Slovak Philharmonic/Ladislav Slovak

Wikipedia Bio:

Dezider Kardoš (* 23 December 1914 – † 18 March 1991), was Slovak composer, one of the main representatives of modern Slovak classical music. He was awarded the title National Artist in 1975, in 2006 was matriculated into the Gold Book of the Slovak Performing and Mechanical Rights Society (SOZA).

After finishing the high school (1933), he studied at the Music and Drama Academy where he attended courses of composition of Alexander Moyzes and at the same time attended the lectures in musicology, aesthetics and arts history at the Faculty of Arts of the Comenius University. Kardoš graduated in 1937 and resumed his studies Master's School of the Prague Conservatory up to 1939, where he was a student of Vítězslav Novák. From 1939 to 1945 he was head of the Slovak Radio Music Department in Prešov, from 1945 to 1951 head of the Czechoslovak Radio Music Department in Košice and since 1951 in Bratislava. In 1952 he became the first director of the Slovak Philharmonic. In the years 1955–1963 he was the president of the Slovak Composers Union. Kardoš was also a successful tutor of composition, from 1961 to 1984 he taught at the Academy of Performing Arts in Bratislava (since 1968 as professor of composition). He was the founder of modern symphonisme. HE was one of the most important composers of the 20th century, forming the foundation of the Slovak music culture. It has its place in the forefront of modern Slovak symfonizme. The original production, which encompass almost all music genres, based on two sources of inspiration - from the Slovak national music and modern world. Dynamic process, unique instrumentation, vigorously, resolute and ardent lyricism, a sense of peace and perfection of construction are the hallmarks of his works, which belong to the permanent values of European music. For his work, he was in 1975 awarded the title of National Artist.

Report Spam   Logged

All download links I have posted are for works, that, to  my knowledge, have never been commercially released in digital form.  Should you find I've been in error, please notify myself or an Administrator.  Please IM me if I've made any errors that require attention, as I may not read replies.
Wiktorio30Poland
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2014, 10:37:21 am »

Many thanks for You jowcol, these composers (Ocenas, Kardos) are really masters of Slovak Musik.
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2014, 09:09:06 pm »

uploaded today to Slovak Music Downloads folder:

Ján Zimmer (1926-1993)

The Tatras, Op. 11 (first suite, 1952)
    Rysy
    Furkotska dolina a Furkotsky stit
    Mengusovska dolina a Koprovsky stit
    Hincovo pleso
    Polsky hreben a Bielovodska dolina
    Lomnicky stit

The Tatras, Op. 25 (second suite, 1956)
    Symbolicky cintorin
    Vodopady
    Studena dolina
    Krivan
    Potok
    Gerlach

Czech Radio Symphony Orchestra
  Ondrej Lenard, conductor

From Slovak Radio broadcasts. Never issued commercially, to the best of my knowledge.
Report Spam   Logged
calyptorhynchus
Level 3

Times thanked: 42

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2014, 10:06:17 pm »

I must say I enjoyed the Tatras suites immensely. I went on to Youtube to find Zimmer recordings, as he seems completely unrepresented in the catalogue and there are recordings of his Symphonies 1,3,5,7,12 and Piano Concertos 1 and 3. All sound like very ancient radio broadcasts, but I find the music quite compelling. Sometimes I think I like a particular composer because if I wrote music I would like it to sound like their music, Zimmer is one of those.

;)
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2014, 10:04:35 am »

I have the old Musica Nova Bohemica LP of Zimmer's 1st Symphony, so I was familar with his name since many years ago. But it is only now that I have had the chance to hear anything else. Shame about the poor recordings ... my LP is only in mono also. It is coupled with the 2nd Symphony of Jiri Jaroch - there's another name to conjure with. A really wonderful piece with a most arresting opening.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: