The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 19, 2024, 08:50:53 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Bulgarian Music

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bulgarian Music  (Read 3069 times)
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2016, 06:14:04 pm »

I've just uploaded Lazar Nikolov's Piano Concerto No 2

Much appreciated,thanks !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
guest224
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2017, 12:00:10 am »

I listened to Nikola Atanasov's Symphony No.1 for the first time the other day and loved it immediately, and have listed to it all the way through several times since.  A very light (without being shallow) and melodic symphony in four movements.  Not what I expect from a composer from that part of Europe, where the colours are often so dark.  Much more in the vein of Smetana writing about Vltava I thought, plus occasional bits of Schumann, and music that could be Tchaikovsky ballet at the end of the second movement. It's on youtube, and I can't see that it's commercially available (Amazon search).  It's from a Bulgaroton recording, as far as I know Bulgaroton no longer exists.

Nikola Atanasov (Bulgaria, 1886-1969)

I. Allegro maestoso -
II. Andante -
III. Allegro -
IV. Moderato -

Bulgarian National Radio Symphony Orchestra, Vladi Simeonov

If anyone's interested I've made an mp3 rip and put in the Downloads section.
https://musicforeveryone.createaforum.com/downloads/nikola-atanasov-(1886-1969-bulgaria)-symphony-no-1/

From the website of the Union of Bulgarian Composers:

http://ubc-bg.com/en/composer/238

Nikola Atanassov belongs to the first generation of Bulgarian composers. He composed the first Bulgarian symphony (1912), inspired by the classical symphony form, as well as the first Bulgarian sonata for piano (1911). He graduated form the Conservatory of Zagreb where he studied under Professor F. Dugan, V. Ruzic, K. Yunek and V. Humel (1906–12). He taught music in Stara Zagora (1912–22), Pleven (1915) and Sofia (1922–24). In 1923 he joined the staff of the State Academy of Music as lecturer in music theory subjects and later became Professor (1929–58). He was Rector of the State Academy of Music (1934–37).

The orchestral music predominates in his work. He composed three symphonies; two overtures and the music picture Chieftain Doychin; overture for mandolin orchestra and other pieces including five Bulgarian folksong medleys; three suites; three waltzes; Rachenitza; Arabesque; Intermezzo; chamber works; choral music; solo songs, etc. He also made over 500 arrangements and orchestrations of overtures, hymns, solo songs by other authors, etc. His Symphony No.1 and the Trio for violin, violoncello and piano are among his most popular works.

Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2017, 07:53:49 pm »

Well - certainly learned something...I had him down as Russian on the download I've got !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2017, 10:59:53 am »

Marin Goleminov

Symphony No. 1 "On Children's Themes"

Variations on a Theme by Dobrai Christov

Sofia PO cond. Kamen Goleminov

The source for these two recordings is an old Balkanton LP from (I think) 1981. Neither seems to be available today in any format. I have some other Goleminov recordings, including two different recordings of the 3rd string quartet, but I don't know where they came from.
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2017, 05:20:36 pm »

Thank you, Mr. G. !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Tetsugakusha75
Level 2

Times thanked: 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2017, 06:43:01 pm »

Thank you very much for the Goleminov upload! Guerguan Tsenov already put the "Dobri Hristov" variations on YouTube, I could do that with the first symphony (as I did with the second and third - not with the fourth, since it's commercially available). I have also got two different recordings of Goleminov's third string quartet: one by the Avramov Quartet (Sofia, Bulgarian National Radio, Studio 1, 1971), and one by the Sofia Quartet (released by Gega in 1998). Besides, I recently uploaded some Nikolov on YouTube, including his "Prometheus" opera.
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2018, 06:27:25 pm »

Maris (Latvian) - thank you so much for the enormous Vladigerov upload - what a wealth of music!

The files are all FLAC.  Can anyone here advise of the best online FLAC-to-MP3 converter?  The only ones I can find are INCREDIBLY slow - over 30 minutes to convert just 2 files.  And there are over 45 files! ;D

(Apologies if this technical question has been addressed elsewhere!)

Report Spam   Logged
oldfezzi
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2018, 04:51:35 pm »

You could certainly use Audacity. 

Roxio Creator NXT will let you do batch conversions.  I don't have the latest version, however.

Hope this helps.

Jerry
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2018, 11:19:20 am »

I listened to Nikola Atanasov's Symphony No.1 for the first time the other day and loved it immediately, and have listed to it all the way through several times since.  A very light (without being shallow) and melodic symphony in four movements.  Not what I expect from a composer from that part of Europe, where the colours are often so dark.  Much more in the vein of Smetana writing about Vltava I thought, plus occasional bits of Schumann, and music that could be Tchaikovsky ballet at the end of the second movement. It's on youtube, and I can't see that it's commercially available (Amazon search).  It's from a Bulgaroton recording, as far as I know Bulgaroton no longer exists.

Nikola Atanasov (Bulgaria, 1886-1969)

I. Allegro maestoso -
II. Andante -
III. Allegro -
IV. Moderato -

Bulgarian National Radio Symphony Orchestra, Vladi Simeonov

If anyone's interested I've made an mp3 rip and put in the Downloads section.
https://musicforeveryone.createaforum.com/downloads/nikola-atanasov-(1886-1969-bulgaria)-symphony-no-1/

From the website of the Union of Bulgarian Composers:

http://ubc-bg.com/en/composer/238

Nikola Atanassov belongs to the first generation of Bulgarian composers. He composed the first Bulgarian symphony (1912), inspired by the classical symphony form, as well as the first Bulgarian sonata for piano (1911). He graduated form the Conservatory of Zagreb where he studied under Professor F. Dugan, V. Ruzic, K. Yunek and V. Humel (1906–12). He taught music in Stara Zagora (1912–22), Pleven (1915) and Sofia (1922–24). In 1923 he joined the staff of the State Academy of Music as lecturer in music theory subjects and later became Professor (1929–58). He was Rector of the State Academy of Music (1934–37).

The orchestral music predominates in his work. He composed three symphonies; two overtures and the music picture Chieftain Doychin; overture for mandolin orchestra and other pieces including five Bulgarian folksong medleys; three suites; three waltzes; Rachenitza; Arabesque; Intermezzo; chamber works; choral music; solo songs, etc. He also made over 500 arrangements and orchestrations of overtures, hymns, solo songs by other authors, etc. His Symphony No.1 and the Trio for violin, violoncello and piano are among his most popular works.

Does anyone know if any other of Nikola Atanasov's music is recorded? This symphony is so good, I want to know more about him.  (He is not to be confused with Georgi Atanassov (1882-1931), also Bulgarian.)
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2018, 04:58:07 pm »

Does anyone know if any other of Nikola Atanasov's music is recorded? This symphony is so good, I want to know more about him.  (He is not to be confused with Georgi Atanassov (1882-1931), also Bulgarian.)
Dear Mr Christopher
Surely this
https://bingeksa.com/product/O006GYW0MN/pazardjik-symphony-orchestra-presents-works-by-nikola-atanasov-heraklit-nestorov-petko-staynov
and perhaps
https://www.cdandlp.com/nikola-atanasov/macedonian-cornemuse-gajda-bulgarie/mini-33t/r118362139/
could be homonym.
Best
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: