The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:34:53 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Stefans Grové: String quartet (1945)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stefans Grové: String quartet (1945)  (Read 116 times)
guest140
« on: October 09, 2017, 02:58:45 pm »

Stefans Grové (1922-2014) was a South African composer and one of the "fathers" and main figures in the development of Western art music in South Africa. Among his very first compositions is a String quartet (1945). I recently found a fair copy of the autograph score. The only other existing manuscript - the working copy - is archived at the Stellenbosch University. With the permission from the Grové family I am now proud to present the typeset full score at my website. There it can be downloaded free of charge and a sound snippet is included:

https://www.tobias-broeker.de/rare-manuscripts/other-violin-manuscripts/quartet-works/

You are welcome to visit my site and download your own copy of the score.

A short biography of Stefans Grové:

Stefans Grové was born on 23 July 1922 in Bethlehem (South Africa). His mother worked as a music teacher, his uncle the well-known composer D. J. Roode and so he learned to play the piano, organ and flute from an early age. In 1945 Stefans Grové began to study music at the South African College of Music in Cape Town with William Henry Bell and Erik Chisholm. Later he was awarded a Fulbright Scholarship as the first South African ever and so completed his master's degree at the Harvard University under Thurston Dart and Walter Piston. He also attended Aaron Copland's composition class at the Tanglewood Summer School and studied flute at the Longy School of Music.
After his studies Stefans Grové worked as a teacher first at the Bard College and then at the Peabody Institute. He returned permantly to South Africa in 1972 and was appointed lecturer at the University of Pretoria. There he remained until his death on 29 May 2014.

Stefans Grové is one of the most significant and important composers in the history of South Africa. Together with Arnold van Wyk and Hubert du Plessis he is considered as "the fathers of South African art music". He also was the first white composer to include African musical language into his compositions and forming a hybrid of "white Western" and "black South African" styles.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: