The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:39:11 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Fricker Symphonies Nos.1-4 on Lyrita

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fricker Symphonies Nos.1-4 on Lyrita  (Read 1430 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2017, 10:14:37 pm »

Ok, let's not worry too much about the means by which we might listen to Fricker's symphonies and instead thank Lyrita for making them available to those who might enjoy them

I am still listening to the Symphony No.1 and marvelling at its concentrated power. I have the old Louisville/Robert Whitney LP but it is great to have the splendid Bryden Thomson version on disc. This symphony is so "up my street" 
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2017, 11:08:25 pm »

Well, space is of course a reason for me, buying only a little number of cd's. I also don't write cd's from downloaded works. I simply save them on external hard drives. I can attach them on  my home audio-set if I like. But mostly I play them from one of my computers in my "man cave"
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2017, 01:41:38 pm »

The Fricker set arrived today (Tuesday). I ordered it from English Postbox. Apparently,this is actually,MDT (or a separate company owned by them?). I have bought cd's from them before.The were very quick,indeed. I ordered it on Friday afternoon. I am listening to the second cd,now. It is great to hear this music in such clean sound. The third and fourth Symphonies,in particular,needed to be heard in better sound. (I began to wish I'd kept my off-air cassette of the third!). I think it is,quite simply, one of the most exciting cd releases for a while. Along with the Daniel Jones symphonies. Such satisfying,absorbing music.Why did this have to take so long?!!! ::) >:( Still,we're getting them,now! Time to enjoy :)............................. ..........................then, worry about where I'm going to store the things?!! ;D
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2017, 04:10:20 pm »

After enjoying the first two symphonies;I put on the second cd again,last night. It was great to hear the third in really good,clean sound. (I'd begun to wish I'd kept my superior sounding off-air cassette!) I now think this a tremendous follow up to the first two. Full of anger and defiance. Quite thrilling in places. The quieter moments as gripping and absorbing,as I might expect from this composer.The fourth symphony had seemed less focused than the first three. I found my attention wandering at the first listen. A rest from Fricker,and try again,I thought? Ha! ::) Sod's law struck last night. The Fourth symphony finally seemed to "click" with me. (Incidentally,Fricker's quieter moments are ideal for late night listening). Unfortunately,it was past midnight. Very reluctantly,to put it mildly,I switched off the Fourth Symphony;just when it seemed to have begun to cast it's spell on me! :(

I will have another listen again,tonight. This time I will begin with the second cd in the set,and hopefully be able to finish listening to the Fourth before bed?!! :( >:( ;D
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: