The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:24:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Fricker Symphonies Nos.1-4 on Lyrita

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fricker Symphonies Nos.1-4 on Lyrita  (Read 1435 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« on: October 06, 2017, 12:52:38 pm »

I could have included this new double cd in the thread on Lyrita Futures but the Fricker release arrived today so it is very much "present"

I never thought that this day would come when all of Fricker's five symphonies would make it to cd. As Paul Conway writes in the booklet notes there were distinguished critics in the early 1950s and 1960s saying that Fricker was "the most impressive talent to appear in post-war Britain" and "at the head of his generation" and if Malcolm Arnold or Robert Simpson might also claim those accolades Fricker does not deserve the oblivion into which his music was cast by the 1980s onwards generations.

I am very excited and make no apologies for that 
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 03:17:37 pm »

Fully agreed with Colin about Fricker. I also ordered the symphonies, but they are not in my mailbox yet. I have to be a little patient.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 04:20:25 pm »

Fully agreed with Colin about Fricker. I also ordered the symphonies, but they are not in my mailbox yet. I have to be a little patient.
I went online last night to look at my customer account on a certain website,to see if a cd had been sent out. I also bought a s/h cd. A bit different from Peter Racine Fricker! Otis Redding: In Person at the Whisky a go go!! Unlike a certain other forum,we have very wide tastes in music here!! ;D I had a look to see if any deleted cd's,or dvd's,I have been unable to acquire (because sellers keep asking huge prices,or they don't seem to be available,at all) had become affordable.(I have a small list!) I noticed that the long delayed dvd release of the classic French movie,The Wages of Fear,looks as if it may finally be released by the BFI in October!! I've had this on pre-order for over a year!! My father is 85 now. I was hoping he might be able to see it again!! I am going to resist the Cpo release of Louis Glass for the time being...............but after reading these posts I don't think I will be able to resist the Fricker set!! It also seems wrong to do so!!

I notice Gramophone are letting you read their reviews,now (or,some of them!). Although,you could jab the 'Printscreen' button,before. They also have reviews of the recent Daniel Jones Lyrita releases,there.

https://www.gramophone.co.uk/review/fricker-symphonies-nos-1-4
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 04:44:04 pm »

https://artmusiclounge.wordpress.com/

That does it! I'll order it this evening! ::) ;D

Done!! ::) ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 06:48:33 pm »

I am surprised that you needed any encouragement given the admiration you have previously shown for Fricker's music

The First Symphony is such an assured work for a 29 year old and is, in my opinion, so powerful and gripping. It is splendid to have it on cd at last.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 07:21:43 pm »

Unfortunately,boring things like keeping a roof over my head.....food,heating,and other such mundane necessities,mean I have to keep an eye on the pennies!! :( ::) ;D Also,the 'clever' software I installed to prevent me succumbing to too much temptation on certain websites selling cd's,dvd's (and books,too!) is very effective,indeed!! ::) :( ;D I take your point,however! :) I have placed my order,now!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 07:43:50 pm »

I have just read the "review" of the Daniel Jones symphonies in 'The Gramophone' to which you refer. I have a lot of respect for Guy Rickards and it is clearly not his fault that this 'comment' is what passes for a review in what was once a magazine worth buying and reading. Very, very sad
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 12:57:19 pm »

Yes,it's not much of a review is it? I did buy one or two copies after hearing that it had been taken over by new owners,and had "improved"! There were a few less intrusions from celebs;but the "reviews" are so brief,as to be hardly worth the cost of the magazine,itself (I could buy a s/h cd with the money!). Also,I know it's not very important;but I can't stand that wierd feeling,shiny,paper they use (particularly the cover!) ??? ::)

To be honest,the only reason I referred to Guy Rickard's review was because of the last paragraph. I like his comments here. "The reception of Jones’s music has usually been respectful rather than enthusiastic.." I have noticed and been more than a little rattled by this,myself,over the years! The Penguin guide,useful as it was;another culprit. (I recall thinking,"What I'm hearing is allot better than that!") Rickards,however,regards them as "strong and important works that repay familiarity". He,rightfully,makes a plea for concert hall and studio performances. Yes....yes,I say;and particularly here in Wales. Just a pity Guy Rickards couldn't have been given a bit more room. Dear,oh dear!! ::)

By the way,it is because of your enthusiasm for Fricker,Dundonnell,that I persisted with his music. Although,I did enjoy his third symphony,when it was broadcast (back in the mid nineties,I think).
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 01:11:01 pm »

Happily the four symphonies are now also available at Spotify; joining in at the moment.  :)
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 04:26:59 pm »

Happily the four symphonies are now also available at Spotify; joining in at the moment.  :)

Good thinking. At least it is cheaper than the cd release. But I don't regret I ordered the cd's. I prefer the cd's with booklet and so. Space is beginning to be a problem here, but a few cd's can still be added.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 04:51:03 pm »

I fully appreciate the difficulties many have in purchasing "too many" cds (in marked contrast to a recent contributer to the Musicweb forum who told us that he had 60+ versions of a Bruckner symphony! I didn't even know there were as many in existence! I wonder what he does when he wants to listen to the symphony. Does he select a version he does not actually esteem ::) ???)

As I have said before ( ::)) I used to buy an average of ten cds each month. That is no longer the case. Part of the reason is because I could not afford to do so on what is a (admittedly reasonably generous) pension but also because, with well over 3,000 cds, I have filled an entire wall of my (admittedly huge) sitting room and have a (large) library in which three entire walls are covered in books. I also have (at least) one version of every orchestral work in the repertoire of the 19th and 20th centuries available on cd and within by "taste range" :)

So I buy new cds of previously unrecorded works and British symphonies are a (very obvious ;D) "must-buys" for me.

....but, as you know, I admire Fricker enormously and enthuse about his music (and that of other composers of his and earlier generations of 20th century British music). If others like the Fricker soundworld then they should invest in the cds if they possibly can. This will encourage Lyrita to keep going...if nothing else ;D
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2017, 05:16:21 pm »

Finding room is another issue! I keep thinking I need to rig up one of those Heath Robinson,space saving,contraptions;but I'm useless at DIY!! I was definitely going to buy this one,though! I think I'd have felt a bit guilty about it if I didn't. You do need to put your money where your mouth is,in these cases,if possible. I agree with Dundonnell,that every cd bought (or downloaded) adds up,even if you think it won't;encouraging Lyrita to release something else that is otherwise unavailable,and you may like,too! Buying another Mahler Second,however wonderful that composition undoubtedly is,will (also,undoubtedly!) add another Mahler Second to your collection of Mahler Second's;but,ultimately,Mahler cd's are going to pump out in seemingly endless amounts from the recording labels anyway!! ::) ;D The recent Cpo release of Louis Glass' Fifth Symphony will have to wait a little longer,though;but I will be buying it.......even if I have to sell the shirt off my back!! ::) :( ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2017, 05:56:11 pm »

Do second-hand shirts raise that sort of money?? If so then.....
Report Spam   Logged
djarvie
Level 2

Times thanked: 7

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2017, 09:43:17 pm »

I've just downloaded the Fricker symphonies from iTunes.   That, for me, is the solution to the space problem.  And you do get the booklet as well.
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2017, 09:47:44 pm »

Good thinking. At least it is cheaper than the cd release. But I don't regret I ordered the cd's. I prefer the cd's with booklet and so. Space is beginning to be a problem here, but a few cd's can still be added.
I prefer physical books and cd's, too. But with about 6000 on my shelves and no space left in my study, Spotify offers a welcome alternative.  8) Fricker is intriguing enough though to make it to these shelves one day.
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: