The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:30:51 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Aarre Merikanto (1893-1958)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aarre Merikanto (1893-1958)  (Read 1410 times)
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2017, 11:18:32 am »

Aarre Merikanto was after WW II one of Finland's leading modern composers. In the 1960s and 70s, work of him came on Philips LP's, in the series Modern Music. His musical output differs very much from Sibelius's.
Of course, Merikanto wrote music through all of his life, where Sibelius skipped composing in earlier years of his.

I find Merikanto's 2nd symphony ('War Symphony') a very moving piece, although his 3td was more often performed (and recorded).
His opera 'Juha' from his younger years brought him fame (at least in Finland). In his latest years (in 1956) he wrote "Genesis" (for soprano,choir & orch).
His "Andante religioso" is a fine work and has been broadcasted several times and came on
Next to his piano concertos there are also at least 4 violin concertos. Nrs. 2 & 4 were recorded and sit in my
collection, but I must look for the source if I can upload them in our forum.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: