The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:48:22 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

New Richard Rodney Bennett Series on Chandos

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Richard Rodney Bennett Series on Chandos  (Read 1206 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« on: October 04, 2017, 06:47:03 pm »

Good Heavens! This is a surprise  I am in London for a week so I am relying on memory here but I think that Chandos attempted to launch a Bennett cycle some years ago but it was aborted after only one release. The Symphony No.3 was available on a Koch disc along with the Violin Concerto and is the most "approachable" of the three but the prospect of having more of the output of this prolific composer,whose star went into eclipse when he eschewed some of his earlier "modernism" and after he more or less settled in the USA, is extremely welcome

My memory did not play me false: Chandos did indeed launch a Bennett cycle in 2006 with Volume I but I was being unfair to say that the cycle was aborted. The cycle was to have been conducted by Richard Hickox but the conductor's untimely death in 2008 meant that there was no Volume II. It is to the label's credit that the cycle is being continued. It is however, I think, a pity that Chandos are calling the new release Volume I rather than acknowledging it as a continuation of Hickox's work.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: