The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 18, 2024, 03:29:47 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

New Richard Rodney Bennett Series on Chandos

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Richard Rodney Bennett Series on Chandos  (Read 1215 times)
patmos.beje
Level 4

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2017, 08:42:30 pm »

Although I have recordings of his serious works Letters to Lindbergh, and the ones which include the Piano Concerto and Violin Concerto, none of which I am very familiar with, when I think of Richard Rodney Bennett I primarily think of the melodious opening to the 1965 Hammer Horror film The Nanny with Bette Davis and Wendy Craig, which appeared at regular intervals in the late 1960s and the 1970s on UK Television.  See:

It must have made an impact on me when I was young given I still remember the theme.  It was from this that I first became aware of the name Richard Rodney Bennett.

After this I think of his score to Franklin J. Schaffner's impressive 1971 film Nicholas and Alexandra for which I have the original soundtrack score, which I think is a bootleg.  It was recently on a UK TV Freeview channel.

See:

I also have a rip of his children's opera All the King's Men which was once available on LP.  This is available in its entirety on YouTube:

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP-EGWBKzWU&list=PLKNYFzfTufPWwqrIcMdmge6cjTVUSHAiw

There are several recordings of his music in the British and Irish Music Catalogue on this site.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: