The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:29:58 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Idiotic Comments on Composers or Music!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Idiotic Comments on Composers or Music!  (Read 1368 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2017, 01:42:28 pm »

Haven't heard of Myleene Klass?!! :o ;D How fortunate!! Not that I'm a follower! She just seemed to be ubiquitous on every channel a while back;presenting various tv and radio shows. All you seemed to hear about was how clever she was and how she loved classical music,even playing classical piano herself. The BBC seemed particularly keen on promoting her. I did try to avoid her,by switching over;but she just seemed to pop up on the channel I was watching. Perhaps it's like that person you meet. You've never seen them before,but suddenly you seem to bump into them everywhere you go! Even if you don't like them! They seem to have lost interest in her lately,however! Although,I mustn't speak too soon!!

Alan Titchmarsh is another presenter who seems to pop up on classical music programs and has presented some concerts. He has a sideline in gardening,I gather!

Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2017, 02:11:56 pm »

I suppose it's an age "thing"! But I'll admit,I do like the old fashioned kind of presenter,who just seemed to introduce a concert and fill you in with a few pertinent details about the composer and the composition. I don't need to know how delightful it is,or whether the composer lived to see the era of the Sex pistols,or Doris Day,for that matter! ;D They don't have to sound plummy,though!! ;D For that I can listen to the spoken introductions to some of the files uploaded to our music archive here.

I don't have a problem with popular music,I might add. I'm listening to the seventies (mainly) soul singer Millie Jackson at the moment! (No relation to Michael!!) Her album,Caught up, being regularly cited by critics as one of the greatest and most influential soul albums ever. I'm a big fan of her singing! Elvis.........not so much!! ::) ;D

*************************************

I should point out that I don't mind the inclusion of some useful nuggets of information and input from someone with something genuinely interesting to say about a composer;or a snippet of an interesting interview. I remember a performance of Bush's Piano concerto (I taped it,I think the Piano Concerto is here?) with a snippet of John Amis talking about the composer,and how as a long standing communist and supporter of the Soviet Union,in a poignant interview with Amis,suffering from Alzheimers,he didn't even know that the iron curtain had fallen! Another instance. A snippet of Daniel Jones talking about Dylan Thomas (I think?) before a relay of one of his symphonies. Also,eading that Havergal Brian enjoyed The Beatles (I don't! :o ;D) I might add is interesting and amusing. It shows how open minded he was to new trends. Although,he didn't go as far as Malcolm Arnold and Deep Purple!! ;D I don't think he liked Elvis,though?!! Even if he did show some early promise,so much of his later output is so crass and vulgar! ::) I mean Elvis,not Brian,of course!! ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2017, 10:33:49 am »

Bring back Patricia Hughes!

There is a nice story about how she got the job of announcer on Radio 3. She turned up for an audition and was asked to read a programme schedule, which was full of things like "Stanisław i Anna Oświecimowie" by Mieczysław Karłowicz, which she stumbled through, making a total hash of it as one might expect coming across it unprepared. So she was rather surprised to be told she'd got the job. "But I pronounced everything wrongly!" she said. "Ah," she was told, "You were the only one who read through to the end."
Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

Times thanked: 30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2017, 12:19:17 pm »

Bring back Patricia Hughes!

There is a nice story about how she got the job of announcer on Radio 3. She turned up for an audition and was asked to read a programme schedule, which was full of things like "Stanisław i Anna Oświecimowie" by Mieczysław Karłowicz, which she stumbled through, making a total hash of it as one might expect coming across it unprepared. So she was rather surprised to be told she'd got the job. "But I pronounced everything wrongly!" she said. "Ah," she was told, "You were the only one who read through to the end."
!!! That would have to be from the dead, of course, as she sadly departed some 4½ years ago at the age of 90.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2017, 02:39:01 pm »

I know ... wishful thinking. I was a fan of Tom Crow as well. I always remember the time that a concert programme was re-arranged by moving one piece from the second half to the first half. Unfortunately, they didn't tell the bass clarinettist, who thought he was not needed for the first half and timed his arrival at the concert hall accordingly. The concert was being broadcast live, so Crow had to keep up some sort of continuity on air while the hall was being scoured for the missing instrumentalist. It must have been agony, but he did as well as could be expected.
Report Spam   Logged
BrianA
Level 4

Times thanked: 29

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2017, 03:49:29 am »

This will mean nothing to anybody outside Canada, of course, but I cherish the memory of Bob Kerr who used to host a program on CBC FM called "Off the Record".  Knowlegeable and informed about the music, Bob also had an inquisitive side, as reflected by his programming of such (then) novel and unknown composers as Eduard Tubin.  He also had a few unique personal preferences.  For example, although I never figured out the connection, he would always program Nielsen's "Sinfonia Espansive" on (Canadian) Thanksgiving Day.  By contrast, most current CBC classical announcers seem to have no purpose other than to appeal to a younger demographic.  As I said before, I have no idea how that's working for them.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: