The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:00:27 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Idiotic Comments on Composers or Music!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Idiotic Comments on Composers or Music!  (Read 1360 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« on: September 21, 2017, 11:06:02 pm »

I went looking for performances of the Sibelius 7th on You Tube.I found a performance from the 2013 Proms with the Mahler Chamber Orchestra conducted by Daniel Harding. Unfortunately the video includes the intro' by the ineffable, dreadful, asinine Katie Derham.

Having commented on Sibelius's later silence as a composer Ms Derham says:

"You know, I always think that it is amazing that Sibelius, who most active as a composer in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, should have lived long enough to hear Elvis Presley".

...and with that thought in one's mind begins one of Sibelius's most profound,beautiful and moving compositions

Am I alone in finding this woman and her ignorant comments insufferable?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

ahinton
Level 6

Times thanked: 30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 06:25:39 am »

I went looking for performances of the Sibelius 7th on You Tube.I found a performance from the 2013 Proms with the Mahler Chamber Orchestra conducted by Daniel Harding. Unfortunately the video includes the intro' by the ineffable, dreadful, asinine Katie Derham.

"You know, I always think that it is amazing that Sibelius, who most active as a composer in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, should have lived long enough to hear Elvis Presley".

...and with that thought in one's mind begins one of Sibelius's most profound,beautiful and moving compositions

No.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 01:20:18 pm »

I can conjure up the scene in which the aged Sibelius, at home in Ainola outside Jarvenpaa, shouts at his wife to demand a radio so that he can listen to "Rock around the Clock" or some other Presley classic. Who needs to compose in his Finnish hideout when he can listen to the blessed Elvis

The massed ranks of the ghosts of BBC music producers of the past and of the truly great music critics and writers must be whirling manically in their graves If Derham had said "Pierre Boulez" rather than Elvis then her observation, although still trite, would have had a measure of sense but- with due respect to those who might admire Mr. Presley-to mention him in the same sentence, to associate him in any way with the Finnish master, and to do so seconds before the remarkable opening of the symphony with its drum role and the magical entry of the strings is simply rank bad taste. She and her producer should be banished to "Strictly Come Dancing" or some other of the BBC's contributions to its contemporary vision of its Reithian mission
Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 01:47:00 pm »

I can conjure up the scene in which the aged Sibelius, at home in Ainola outside Jarvenpaa, shouts at his wife to demand a radio so that he can listen to "Rock around the Clock" or some other Presley classic. Who needs to compose in his Finnish hideout when he can listen to the blessed Elvis

The massed ranks of the ghosts of BBC music producers of the past and of the truly great music critics and writers must be whirling manically in their graves If Derham had said "Pierre Boulez" rather than Elvis then her observation, although still trite, would have had a measure of sense but- with due respect to those who might admire Mr. Presley-to mention him in the same sentence, to associate him in any way with the Finnish master, and to do so seconds before the remarkable opening of the symphony with its drum role and the magical entry of the strings is simply rank bad taste. She and her producer should be banished to "Strictly Come Dancing" or some other of the BBC's contributions to its contemporary vision of its Reithian mission
I fear that the egregious Ms Derham has form in this; what you heard was by no means a slip of the tongue...
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 02:31:57 pm »

And another,definite.No! Katie Derham,and her like,is one of the reasons I don't listen to Radio 3 anymore,unless it's something I've seen in the listings,or been alerted to,and wish to record! Yuk!! ::) I had a friend,when I was a youngster,who used to torture me with his massive Elvis collection. Now,I'm in my fifties,I quite enjoy the odd,more up-tempo Elvis hit,if caught accidentally on the radio. I'm not a fan,though. I think he was massively overrated and his slow numbers were dreadful! If you like that sort of thing,I think there were better rock and rollers! (I remember quite enjoying watching Chuck Berry,at Xmas,I think?!) I suppose it's just that,from this distance in time,whatever I think of him,he just seems a bit better than the people they call pop stars,now! Fair play! :o ;D The nearest Sibelius got to rock being granitic monoliths like the Seventh. Mind you the idea of Sibelius sitting listening to Elvis in his armchair does evoke amusing mental pictures! Sibelius rocking around the clock!! ;D (The clock strikes two,Sibelius two.....doop-doop-shooboodi-wap!!) ;D ;D (Bill Haley,of course)
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 03:16:36 pm »

Yes.. this is a really stupid remark!   In 50 years, people will have to google the name Elvis to see the meaning of that word.  That remark is really inappropriate.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 03:18:57 pm »

And another,definite.No! Katie Derham,and her like,is one of the reasons I don't listen to Radio 3 anymore,unless it's something I've seen in the listings,or been alerted to,and wish to record! Yuk!! ::) I had a friend,when I was a youngster,who used to torture me with his massive Elvis collection. Now,I'm in my fifties,I quite enjoy the odd,more up-tempo Elvis hit,if caught accidentally on the radio. I'm not a fan,though. I think he was massively overrated and his slow numbers were dreadful! If you like that sort of thing,I think there were better rock and rollers! (I remember quite enjoying watching Chuck Berry,at Xmas,I think?!) I suppose it's just that,from this distance in time,whatever I think of him,he just seems a bit better than the people they call pop stars,now! Fair play! :o ;D The nearest Sibelius got to rock being granitic monoliths like the Seventh. Mind you the idea of Sibelius sitting listening to Elvis in his armchair does evoke amusing mental pictures! Sibelius rocking around the clock!! ;D (The clock strikes two,Sibelius two.....doop-doop-shooboodi-wap!!) ;D ;D (Bill Haley,of course)

Can we avoid pursuing the imagine which you (and, of course, I too) conjured up ;D It is too preposterous ::)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 03:20:57 pm »

Someone on Musicweb suggested that I should just laugh it off to save myself from dying of apoplexy ;D

Easier said than done! I shall continue to rail against the dimming of the light :)
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 11:13:30 pm »

An egregious violation of house rules (prohibiting personal vituperation) this thread, - and instigated by a surprising party.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 11:54:59 pm »

I am, of course, perfectly happy to delete the entire thread or alternatively to move it to the "unmoderated forum" if required to do so.

My reading of the Rules is that vituperative comment directed at another member is prohibited as is derogatory comment on the moral character of musicians (and by implication anyone associated with music.) There has certainly in the past been extremely harsh comment on the published opinion of certain music critics.

I have no wish to impugn Ms Derham's personal character which is no doubt exemplary, nor to question her motivation in attempting, in however maladroit fashion, to relate the life and career of a great composer to a figure from the world of "popular culture" whom she seems to believe should have some significance for listeners. Unfortunately, as Alistair has observed, she has previous "form" in coming out with statements on a national broadcasting network which are, in my opinion and that of others, (yes) asinine and (I found) actually offensive. A former BBC producer told me that those remarks would have been completely unacceptable in his time.

I am more than happy to clarify that my harsh words and strictures relate to the comments made by the lady and not to her herself!

.....but I shall certainly defer to others if my comments are regarded as incendiary and unacceptable.  ::)
Report Spam   Logged
BrianA
Level 4

Times thanked: 29

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2017, 05:22:11 am »

I have witnessed much the same thing in Canada over the past 15 or 20 years or so.  Since the CBC went to a more "mainstream" (for want of a better way of putting it) format this seems to be the required style for classical music hosts.  It isn't that the hosts are themselves uneducated or ill-informed - many of them are in fact themselves actively performing classical musicians.  But the music can't be presented without some sort of contemporary flavored, gossipy, Entertainment Tonight style reference to some supposedly titillating aspect of the composer's life.  I dunno, maybe this is the way to give the younger, contemporary audience exposure to "the Masters", but personally I have my doubts.

Brian
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 10:39:26 am »

I'm still surprised that Radio 3 hasn't made more of the undoubted talents of Myleene Klass!
Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2017, 11:33:31 am »

I'm still surprised that Radio 3 hasn't made more of the undoubted talents of Myleene Klass!
Oh, purLEEESE! Don't given them ideas...
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2017, 12:27:19 pm »

I remember reading that Myleene Klass was a keen astronomer,and that she wouldn't mind presenting Sky at Night given the chance. I think someone even suggested that she might be a possible candidate. I haven't watched it since Patrick Moore died;but,as far as I know,the offer hasn't been taken up?!
Incidentally,I remember one evening,flicking through the tv channels,and finding her on three in a row. I started to panic,thinking she might be on every single one!! :o ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2017, 12:55:21 pm »

Who on earth are you talking about??? Myleene who? I genuinely have never heard of this person!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: