The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:50:22 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Idiotic Comments on Composers or Music!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Idiotic Comments on Composers or Music!  (Read 1373 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2017, 02:11:56 pm »

I suppose it's an age "thing"! But I'll admit,I do like the old fashioned kind of presenter,who just seemed to introduce a concert and fill you in with a few pertinent details about the composer and the composition. I don't need to know how delightful it is,or whether the composer lived to see the era of the Sex pistols,or Doris Day,for that matter! ;D They don't have to sound plummy,though!! ;D For that I can listen to the spoken introductions to some of the files uploaded to our music archive here.

I don't have a problem with popular music,I might add. I'm listening to the seventies (mainly) soul singer Millie Jackson at the moment! (No relation to Michael!!) Her album,Caught up, being regularly cited by critics as one of the greatest and most influential soul albums ever. I'm a big fan of her singing! Elvis.........not so much!! ::) ;D

*************************************

I should point out that I don't mind the inclusion of some useful nuggets of information and input from someone with something genuinely interesting to say about a composer;or a snippet of an interesting interview. I remember a performance of Bush's Piano concerto (I taped it,I think the Piano Concerto is here?) with a snippet of John Amis talking about the composer,and how as a long standing communist and supporter of the Soviet Union,in a poignant interview with Amis,suffering from Alzheimers,he didn't even know that the iron curtain had fallen! Another instance. A snippet of Daniel Jones talking about Dylan Thomas (I think?) before a relay of one of his symphonies. Also,eading that Havergal Brian enjoyed The Beatles (I don't! :o ;D) I might add is interesting and amusing. It shows how open minded he was to new trends. Although,he didn't go as far as Malcolm Arnold and Deep Purple!! ;D I don't think he liked Elvis,though?!! Even if he did show some early promise,so much of his later output is so crass and vulgar! ::) I mean Elvis,not Brian,of course!! ;D
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: