The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:29:22 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Rare Bulgarian Symphonies

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rare Bulgarian Symphonies  (Read 807 times)
Sicmu
Level 2

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2017, 05:30:30 pm »

This channel offers Bulgarian Music that have never been commercially released, including very rare symphonies :

https://www.youtube.com/user/gtsenov/videos?shelf_id=0&view=0&sort=dd
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 06:23:49 pm »

Brilliant 'spot', thanks !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 09:09:45 am »

Excellent find!
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 04:03:57 pm »

Excellent find!

What in particular? 

I've yet to discover anything there likely to receive a second listen.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 09:04:50 am »

Excellent find!

What in particular? 

The channel is an excellent find. New things to explore.
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 04:34:32 pm »

Excellent find!

What in particular? 

New things to explore.

In that regard, yes.  I just wondered which among all the works there stood out as particularly compelling for anyone.  Not Bulgarian, but I recently stumbled onto the YouTube postings of two Symphonies by Arthur Gelbrun, and was especially struck by No.1 as a piece I would want to hear more times subsequently.  With the Bulgarian channel I've yet to experience that, however curious all the unknown names and music (excluding Pipkov & Raichev, who aren't new to me). 

So often we're enthused or entranced by new listening opportunities (YouTube channels, forum uploads, or whatever) and express gratitude to their providers or publicizers, but then never actually get around to hearing any of the music, - and I sometimes suspect (but not negatively so) that's the case when posters can't in an instance like this specify which among the bevy of available works are particularly impressive to them.

I well remember an upload here (though the exact piece escapes me now) several years ago that many members expressed profuse thanks for, but that some months later its provider noted had not been downloaded from the Mediafire source even once. :)

Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 05:48:43 am »

Thanks for the great lead..
"good" Bulgarian music is not well known but there are some notables, esp Goleminov,Pipkov,Nenov,Stoyanov and a few more certainly deserve a listen.
My absolute favorite is Alexander Raychev,(fabulous set of 6 symphonies) His second symphony (Prometheus) is a masterpiece..
The second one you must hear is Pancho Vladigerov. Listen to the Hebrew Poem,5 piano concertos,2 violin concertos and 2 fine symphonies.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 09:00:51 am »

Must have been an opera, chamber music or something excessively modern, Greg  I obsessively download everything orchestral (well. 99% of it) as a matter of course. Have I listened to all the, say, Azerbaijani symphonies? No, I admit that I have not.......but one day I might and if I did then they are on my hard drive (and backed up).
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 03:47:30 pm »

Must have been an opera, chamber music or something excessively modern, Greg  I obsessively download everything orchestral (well. 99% of it) as a matter of course. Have I listened to all the, say, Azerbaijani symphonies? No, I admit that I have not.......but one day I might and if I did then they are on my hard drive (and backed up).

To be more accurate and precise about the instance I refer to, Colin, a glitch apparently occurred in the uploading process that rendered the recording unlistenable, - a fact noted some months later by its original provider (presumably upon discovery).  What struck me at the time was that though members expressed much gratitude for the upload when it appeared, not a single one indicated any problem with it (at least not on the forum), - which had me believing that however many here had downloaded the music ( or what they thought was music) no one ever subsequently bothered to listen.
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 04:27:27 pm »

My absolute favorite is Alexander Raychev,(fabulous set of 6 symphonies) His second symphony (Prometheus) is a masterpiece..

I agree that Raychev's 2nd Symphony is the most effective among his 6 ( though I would hardly call any of them "fabulous", - your typical hyperbole).  But one really should acknowledge how cravenly beholden the work is to Shostakovich.  One suspects it's more an expert imitation than the personal expression of Raychev's own distinctive vision and craft.  A "masterpiece" it isn't, - the designation of which should be reserved for works of some originality.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 07:05:42 am »

I agree that Raychev's 2nd Symphony is the most effective among his 6 ( though I would hardly call any of them "fabulous", - your typical hyperbole).  But one really should acknowledge how cravenly beholden the work is to Shostakovich.  One suspects it's more an expert imitation than the personal expression of Raychev's own distinctive vision and craft.  A "masterpiece" it isn't, - the designation of which should be reserved for works of some originality.

Ok.. we get it. He is a "C" composer at best?

Perhaps "marvelous" and "masterpiece" are semantically ambiguous terms and used by people who have an intellectual impairment as I do.
The terms were only used in a flawed attempt to generate interest in a composer whose music I enjoyed. 

Even I can understand that there are no absolutes when it comes to musical opinions, hence your thoughts are taken in that context.
And are the caustic phrases "expert imitation" and "cravenly beholden" also not a bit of hyperbole?

Eg..would you also reject Einer Englund"s (IMHO)fine music because he was deeply influenced (cravely beholden) to Shostakovitch?
It seems to me that would be a prime example consistent with having a limiting musical perspective.

I encourage others to listen and not prejudge the music. That is all I ask.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 10:05:00 am »

Goleminov is probably the Bulgarian composer I listen to the most, after picking up some LPs of his music nearly 20 years ago. Of my limited exploration of this channel so far, I am quite struck by Konstantin Iliev, who is a new name. Not a very approachable composer, but in his combining serialism with symphonism, interesting - and certainly talented.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 08:39:56 pm »

Goleminov is probably the Bulgarian composer I listen to the most, after picking up some LPs of his music nearly 20 years ago. Of my limited exploration of this channel so far, I am quite struck by Konstantin Iliev, who is a new name. Not a very approachable composer, but in his combining serialism with symphonism, interesting - and certainly talented.
I've heard Goleminov a few times but must take time to savor his music.I do have some. Any suggestions as to your favorite pieces would be most welcome.
Yes, Iliev was new to me as well. His symphonies were not an easy listen, but truly novel composers are sometimes difficult at first. I need to stay with him for a bit longer.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 08:02:06 am »

I've heard Goleminov a few times but must take time to savor his music.I do have some. Any suggestions as to your favorite pieces would be most welcome.

Variations on a Theme by Dobrai Christov. I will try and post it here next week with a few other pieces that are not in our archive.
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2017, 04:38:49 pm »

Variations on a Theme by Dobrai Christov. I will try and post it here next week with a few other pieces that are not in our archive.

Look forward to that, Mr G. !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: