The Art-Music Forum
October 24, 2017, 10:34:41 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare (non-copyright) recordings, and discuss all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight. To participate, simply log in or register.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Bychkov's (not so) new Schmidt Sym 2

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bychkov's (not so) new Schmidt Sym 2  (Read 49 times)
Amphissa
Level 2

Times thanked: 2

View Profile
« on: September 19, 2017, 12:29:59 am »

It's interesting to see this new release of Bychkov conducting the Vienna forces in Schmidt's 2nd Symphony. We have a "broadcast" recording of his performance of this symphony, with the same orchestra in the same hall, around a year before the commercial recording. That first performance was in 2014. The commercial recording was done in 2015. And it is released .... now? I find this a rather perplexing schedule. However, for those who are into hi-rez downloads, I'm sure the audio is superior to that old 256k MP3 in our archives. Even the cheap CD would have better audio.

I did a rough check of timings on the commercial release vs the old "broadcast" recording. For a symphony that is so long, with so many variations and key changes and shifts, the total timing of the original performance vs the recording released commercially differs by only a minute or so. I think he had a pretty solid idea of what he wanted from this symphony from the beginning.

There are other "broadcast" recordings of this symphony, as well as other commercial versions. I haven't really compared them head to head. The Naxos/Sony CD is a cheap buy. Bychkov is variable in his interpretations, but I'm sure not going to be nitpicking about this release. It's good to have a recording with good audio performed by a world class orchestra.

Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 26

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 03:11:40 pm »

Try Blunier with the Beethoven Orchester Bonn. A revelation for my taste.
http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/MDG/MDG9372006
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: