The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:15:31 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

John Maxwell Geddes(1941-2017): R.I.P.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: John Maxwell Geddes(1941-2017): R.I.P.  (Read 559 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« on: September 09, 2017, 02:54:06 pm »

I was very sad to hear of Derek Bourgeois's death. We had a very long and positive dialog since 2003.  My last email to him was literally introducing a new orchestral work to him only to find out he was an hour away from death.  I adore John Pickard (b. 1963) but I wonder, are there any "symphonists of note" as you describe born after 1963?  :( 

I don't know is the short answer to your question. There are people like Philip Spratley who has written three (of which No.3 has been recorded by Toccata) but he was born in 1942, there is Matthew Taylor (born 1964) whose three are on Dutton, there is Oliver Knussen (who, to my regret and shame, I keep on forgetting) who has written three but he was born in 1951. There are probably many others who have never been recorded or indeed performed and who work away in total or almost total obscurity, ignored by the record labels and the all-powerful BBC.

My point is that if one had drawn up a list of British Symphonists alive in, say 1970, it would have been more substantial, I suspect!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: