The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:30:36 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Recordings, and Archive of All-Union Radio

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recordings, and Archive of All-Union Radio  (Read 302 times)
guest377
« on: September 05, 2017, 03:22:08 pm »

In researching information about Nikolai Anosov (Russian conductor)  I discovered an interesting fact from Wikipedia:

Recordings, and Archive of All-Union Radio

A complete listing of the recordings of Anosov in Russian or English has yet to be made, and the majority of his recordings lie unexplored in the Archive of All-Union Radio. He was the first performer of many works of Soviet composers and a significant number of operas.

Wonder what other works are buried in the archives that have yet to be made public???   perhaps, we will never know. 
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

shamus
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 06:33:27 pm »

Oh, dhibbard, what a yawning chasm we look into when we discuss unsearched music archives of hidden treasures!!! Here in USA there are so many enticing entries of music, even recordings, in the catalogs of various libraries, especially at universities and they all appear to be designed to stay precisely where they are--on the shelves and apparently at the very back ones at that! With luck I have found a few who have digitalized some of their archival recordings and been able to wheedle some of them into sending them to me, but most don't even reply. I have always had an interest in music written by woman composers and I found a big list of music by Eda Rapoport apparently recorded on fragile acetate or something like that in New York City Library (I think) and didn't even receive a reply from them. Then without any musicological credentials there doesn't seem to be even a chance of going to these places to explore. Oh, well, I guess I already have more than enough to listen to, but I can't quash the yearning to hear some of these hidden away things--the fate of the full-blown music addict....
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 09:58:35 pm »

Oh, dhibbard, what a yawning chasm we look into when we discuss unsearched music archives of hidden treasures!!! Here in USA there are so many enticing entries of music, even recordings, in the catalogs of various libraries, especially at universities and they all appear to be designed to stay precisely where they are--on the shelves and apparently at the very back ones at that! With luck I have found a few who have digitalized some of their archival recordings and been able to wheedle some of them into sending them to me, but most don't even reply. I have always had an interest in music written by woman composers and I found a big list of music by Eda Rapoport apparently recorded on fragile acetate or something like that in New York City Library (I think) and didn't even receive a reply from them. Then without any musicological credentials there doesn't seem to be even a chance of going to these places to explore. Oh, well, I guess I already have more than enough to listen to, but I can't quash the yearning to hear some of these hidden away things--the fate of the full-blown music addict....

Yes... I was aware that the NYC Public Library and of course and Library of Congress in Washington DC has a huge collection... however, one must spend some time there in person and pay a small ransom for a librarian to go find the item for you.. if its not in some remote warehouse somewhere.    I have been able to pay a small fee to get some of those recordings made in a mp3 format from the original 78 record..   however, again that is far more rare.   I was aware that somewhere in All-Union Radio music collection is the recording of Anatoli Bogatyrev's symphony no 1 and several post WW2 composers that never made it to the 33 rpm pressings....  oh well.....:(
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 10:10:43 pm »

those master tapes are probably held by the successor to Radio Moscow.. or the Radio Moscow Symphony  ??
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 11:53:58 pm »

Dear Mr Hibbard
there is this:
http://www.russiandisc.ru/disc/RDCD_00404.aspx
However we could ask to his son Rozhdestvenskiy
Best
Report Spam   Logged