The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:33:18 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

I'm back!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm back!  (Read 3082 times)
kyjo
Level 2

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2017, 08:36:46 pm »

Hi all!

Some of you may remember me as "kyjo" from a couple years ago. Well, I'm back under a different username! I'll keep things brief. I'm a college student majoring in cello performance and I love listening to a wide variety of classical music. My primary area of interest is late-romantic and tonal 20th century music (mainly orchestral and chamber). I'm really into exploring lesser-known repertoire, and I think that the "standard repertoire" these days is ridiculously limited. My favorite "famous" composers include Rachmaninoff, Sibelius, Dvorak, Brahms, Ravel, Shostakovich, Prokofiev, Elgar, Vaughan Williams, and Mahler. Some lesser-known composers who I believe are deserving of much wider exposure include but are not limited to: Atterberg (hence my username ;D), Braga Santos, Hanson, Piston, Martinu, Melartin, Roussel, Englund, Arnold, Glazunov, Szymanowski, Berwald, Dohnanyi, Arnold, Raff, Rontgen, Weinberg, Enescu, Zemlinsky, Bax, Alwyn, Ginastera, Holmboe, Honegger, Andreae, Villa-Lobos, A. Merikanto, etc. Looking forward to sharing my musical discoveries with you all again :)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 11:49:39 pm »

Those of us who were active on this forum during your previous incarnation always valued your well-informed posts, characterised by eagerness to explore new repertoire and by your courtesy towards other members. When you "disappeared" several of us were very sad and expressed the hope that one day you might be able to return. I am sure therefore that I speak for others in warmly welcoming you back  :) :)
Report Spam   Logged
BrianA
Level 4

Times thanked: 29

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 12:11:49 am »

Welcome back, Kyjo (oops! sorry, old habits die hard!)  ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 12:52:15 am »

Nice to meet again!
Report Spam   Logged
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 03:31:36 am »

Oh this is fantastic news! Welcome back! We missed you.
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 07:19:46 am »

Those of us who were active on this forum during your previous incarnation always valued your well-informed posts, characterised by eagerness to explore new repertoire and by your courtesy towards other members. When you "disappeared" several of us were very sad and expressed the hope that one day you might be able to return. I am sure therefore that I speak for others in warmly welcoming you back  :) :)
+1  ;)
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
guest224
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 10:14:43 am »

Welcome back Kyle!  Where've you been though? Missed you!
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
Level 2

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 07:19:07 pm »

Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone :)
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 09:51:42 pm »

welcome back !!!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 01:08:37 am »

Well,fancy that! :o Welcome back,kyjo...oops (Oh,BrianA's done that one! :( ;D),Atterbergman. We've missed you! :) :) :)
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 05:35:27 pm »

With you on the lesser-known composers, Sir. Hope there's still plenty to share !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
guest128
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 04:03:28 am »

How do we know it's really you and not some clever imposter?

Whatever the case, how about an explanation for why you disappeared for so long and what you've been doing?

In a way it's kind of a let down you're back.   I mean that by leaving as you did without any notice to the forum or expectation by us it would happen after being so omnipresent here for so long, and then never reappearing, you created a kind of mystique for yourself, leaving us all in wonder and even suspense over what might have transpired.  For a time we psychoanalyzed you, working hard to discern your possible motives and rationale for the departure, hoping for a reunion,  and then even a couple of times over the years creating specific threads of reminiscence reflecting back on our old friend and departed hero with wistfulness and fondness. 

You were just on the brink of attaining an almost mythical status in AMF lore, - one could even say having effectively become the very first entrant in AMF's fledgling "ring of fame", - and now you explode all that by so  banally and undramatically returning with no more than a "hi everyone"?

For myself it's all more than a little disappointing. ;)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 01:39:58 pm »

Kyle and I have talked privately and I can confirm that he really is who he says he is Yes, there was some considerable discussion of his "disappearance" by members at the time but I don't  believe that puts him or anybody else in similar circumstances under any obligation to discuss their personal life with us-and that could well encompass reasons for being silent on an internet forum. I am told by friends with more experience than I that some folk who use forums create alternative identities and espouse views in which they do not actually believe as an elaborate charade. This, apparently, gives them "fun". I am certain this is not the case here (well, fairly certain). As is pretty well-known I am a (perhaps excessively!) literal sort of person. I am very glad to see the return of a valued member of this forum and am happy to leave it at that
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2017, 11:57:13 pm »

No one was making any demands, but merely expressing curiosity.
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2017, 02:03:16 am »

Well,fancy that! :o Welcome back,kyjo...oops (Oh,BrianA's done that one! :( ;D),Atterbergman. We've missed you! :) :) :)

Honestly I wish Kyjo was still "Kyjo".  "Atterbergman" is just, well, a little bit unwieldly and too multi-syllabic a compound for my taste at least, quite without the pith and hipness of "Kyjo".  BTW, it may seem just a mite "far out there" to admit, but my mind and imagination always by phonetic association equated "Kyjo" with "Kato" (as in Kato Kaelin of O.J. Simpson murder trial fame), - with the result being that whenever I used to read Kyjo's posts a visual likeness of Kato would immediately flash in my brain and identify itself with how Kyjo must truly look in real life.  Kind of bizarre I acknowledge, but indelible.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: