The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:28:11 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Lyrita Bax

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lyrita Bax  (Read 677 times)
Clambert
Level 2

Times thanked: 7

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2017, 10:30:03 pm »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0757G5FH9/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1504128339&sr=1-1&keywords=lyrita

I remember hearing Winter Legends at the time - may even still have an ancient tape of it: not sure if the Goosens has already been issued elsewhere?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 01:36:16 pm »

I have three versions of the Bax Symphony No.2 (Bryden Thomson, David lloy-Jones and Myer Fredman). I do not really think that I need a fourth.

However, depending on the quality of the performance by Goossens this news may please Baxians :)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 03:18:50 pm »

Unfortunately,in my case,not really! ::) I just feel so much Bax has been made available on cd,including orchestrations,completions and an early attempt at a symphony orchestrated by a certain conductor (or something like that?) much as I like Bax at his best,I really can't muster any interest whatsoever!! ::) On the other hand I would have loved to have seen the BBC recording of Holst's opera,The Perfect Fool,released on cd for the first time (for example)! A major gap in the Holst discography,I note....and,imho,very enjoyable!

I'm really looking forward to the forthcoming Fricker Symphonies set,though. Now,that's something to really get me jumping up and down! :) :) :) :) :) :)
Report Spam   Logged
guest251
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 03:35:14 pm »

The Goossens performance has been on Dutton for quite some time:

[urlhttps://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDBP9779][/url]
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 04:49:48 pm »

[urlhttps://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDBP9779][/url]

That is actually quite shocking news!! I actually checked the details on the Dutton website and you are quite correct. The same performance is already available on a Dutton cd at £5.99.

Presumably Lyrita would argue that the recording made by Richard Itter has been remastered by their engineers and that the quality is better than on the Dutton cd. That is assuming that they do actually know about the Dutton cd's existence. If not then this seems to me an extraordinarily bad decision by Lyrita.
Report Spam   Logged
Expi
Level 3

Times thanked: 11

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 02:05:18 pm »

I have three versions of the Bax Symphony No.2 (Bryden Thomson, David lloy-Jones and Myer Fredman). I do not really think that I need a fourth.

However, depending on the quality of the performance by Goossens this news may please Baxians :)

you forgot the best: Vernon Handley :)
Report Spam   Logged

Here is a short list of relevant british composers:
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 02:11:59 pm »

Nah,Bryden Thomson's the best! ;D :)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 04:34:28 pm »

you forgot the best: Vernon Handley :)

I did not forget "the best: Vernon Handley". I have three versions of the Bax 2nd. I do not have the Handley.
Report Spam   Logged
Expi
Level 3

Times thanked: 11

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 12:28:00 pm »

Nah,Bryden Thomson's the best! ;D :)
i don't think so, Thomsons great attention to details let him lose sight of the entire structures of the works :(
Report Spam   Logged

Here is a short list of relevant british composers:
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 11:21:41 pm »

Unfortunately,in my case,not really! ::) I just feel so much Bax has been made available on cd,including orchestrations,completions and an early attempt at a symphony orchestrated by a certain conductor (or something like that?) much as I like Bax at his best,I really can't muster any interest whatsoever!! ::) On the other hand I would have loved to have seen the BBC recording of Holst's opera,The Perfect Fool,released on cd for the first time (for example)! A major gap in the Holst discography,I note....and,imho,very enjoyable!

I'm really looking forward to the forthcoming Fricker Symphonies set,though. Now,that's something to really get me jumping up and down! :) :) :) :) :) :)
Actually,I've changed my mind. I blocked off some websites to stop me being tempted into buying too many cd's and dvd's (password's in the attic! :( ;D)during "idle" surfing!! Looking at the Lyrita cd on Amazon,I think that it will be rather interesting to hear another performance of Winter Legends,that I haven't heard. I rather like Harriet Cohen's performance now and again. I also do enjoy Winter Legends;particularly in the Thomson performance. I know some people find the score a bit 'purple' for their tastes;but that's what I like about it. It's not often a British composer wears his heart so openly on his sleeve. I think it's a wonderful score.

As to Thomson vs Handley. With due respect,I think we'll just have to agree to disagree!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 02:37:15 am »

I can understand the rationale behind having the cd for the performance of "Winter Legends" and if the recording quality of the Bax 2nd under Goossens is markedly superior to the Dutton release of the same performance.....then yes, I would concede that as well.

....but I shall still pass on this offering from Lyrita and save my money for repertoire which is not otherwise available.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 03:09:20 pm »

I was going to add that,while I think it is more interesting than I thought it was,I must admit I won't be rushing to buy it! Yes,I wouldn't mind hearing another performance of Winter Legends,but not having limitless funds I too will defer on that one! :( Interesting,though.
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 10:05:12 pm »

]https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDBP9779]
fixed
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: