The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:58:16 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Lyrita Bax

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lyrita Bax  (Read 683 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« on: September 18, 2017, 11:21:41 pm »

Unfortunately,in my case,not really! ::) I just feel so much Bax has been made available on cd,including orchestrations,completions and an early attempt at a symphony orchestrated by a certain conductor (or something like that?) much as I like Bax at his best,I really can't muster any interest whatsoever!! ::) On the other hand I would have loved to have seen the BBC recording of Holst's opera,The Perfect Fool,released on cd for the first time (for example)! A major gap in the Holst discography,I note....and,imho,very enjoyable!

I'm really looking forward to the forthcoming Fricker Symphonies set,though. Now,that's something to really get me jumping up and down! :) :) :) :) :) :)
Actually,I've changed my mind. I blocked off some websites to stop me being tempted into buying too many cd's and dvd's (password's in the attic! :( ;D)during "idle" surfing!! Looking at the Lyrita cd on Amazon,I think that it will be rather interesting to hear another performance of Winter Legends,that I haven't heard. I rather like Harriet Cohen's performance now and again. I also do enjoy Winter Legends;particularly in the Thomson performance. I know some people find the score a bit 'purple' for their tastes;but that's what I like about it. It's not often a British composer wears his heart so openly on his sleeve. I think it's a wonderful score.

As to Thomson vs Handley. With due respect,I think we'll just have to agree to disagree!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: