The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 18, 2024, 06:51:14 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Orchestral/Choral Works about Lenin and October revolution

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orchestral/Choral Works about Lenin and October revolution  (Read 2088 times)
britishcomposer
Level 3

Times thanked: 36

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2017, 08:27:20 pm »

Were there any "Hitler Cantatas"?  I have always wondered about that. Why are Stalin and Lenin "OK" but not Hitler?  I guess because Stalin "won".  Stalin murdered way more people than Hitler.

Richard Trunk who joined the Nazi party in 1931 wrote a Cantata "Die Feier der neuen Front" (1932) which was dedicated to Hitler and celebrated the person and his vision. The texts were written by Baldur von Schirach. It received many performances during the Third Reich period. I read somewhere that Hitler did not accept personal dedications after that. But this does not mean that no such works were written.

The Prokofiev Cantata for the 20th Anniversary of the October Revolution, Op. 74 has been performed two days ago in Weimar. There was a Symposion which put it into context. It will be broadcast 22. September 2017:
http://www.deutschlandfunkkultur.de/programmvorschau.282.de.html?drbm:date=22.09.2017

Here is a German review:
https://www.nmz.de/online/mg-geballere-und-dj-scratch-prokofjew-doppel-beim-kunstfest-weimar
Report Spam   Logged
britishcomposer
Level 3

Times thanked: 36

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2017, 03:39:31 pm »

Richard Trunk who joined the Nazi party in 1931 wrote a Cantata "Die Feier der neuen Front" (1932) which was dedicated to Hitler and celebrated the person and his vision.

I see that my formulation is prone to misunderstandings. I should have made clear that I did not want to suggest any positive aspects with the word "vision" in this context. Using inverted comma would have helped. Anyway, it's mere luck that I exist, due to the fact that a courageous person defended my grandfather by giving a false oath to save his life. Otherwise the Nazis would have condemned him to death.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2017, 12:00:21 pm »

Richard Trunk who joined the Nazi party in 1931 wrote a Cantata "Die Feier der neuen Front" (1932) which was dedicated to Hitler and celebrated the person and his vision.

I see that my formulation is prone to misunderstandings. I should have made clear that I did not want to suggest any positive aspects with the word "vision" in this context. Using inverted comma would have helped. Anyway, it's mere luck that I exist, due to the fact that a courageous person defended my grandfather by giving a false oath to save his life. Otherwise the Nazis would have condemned him to death.
For those who have endured ugly oppressive forms of omnipotent government. God knows what is "right" or "wrong" ..there is only survival.
Who can say what actions one might take to protect ones they love, certainly a false oath to a corrupt state is to be much admired.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: