The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:30:16 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Rózsa - The World Premiere Digital Recording of the Complete Score to BEN-HUR

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rózsa - The World Premiere Digital Recording of the Complete Score to BEN-HUR  (Read 700 times)
patmos.beje
Level 4

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2017, 09:22:14 pm »

Interesting. I'll consider buying this set........ already have the spectacular Rhino set from the 1990s with that fabulous lavish booklet.......... Hope some new tracks or arrangements are on the new set.

FSM (Film Score Monthly) produced, in 2012, the definitive original soundtrack of Ben-Hur.  It is a 5 CD set including various alternates (i.e. alternative recordings of music used in the film) and several LP releases [see: http://filmscoremonthly.com/notes/ben_hur.html - this includes a downloadable PDF of 25 pages of notes on the cues] This is the benchmark CD release of Ben-Hur and, in my view, trumps the excellent Rhino release. 

Tadlow has previously released reconstructions of The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes (which Billy Wilder requested be based on Rózsa's Violin Concerto) and El Cid.  The tapes of the original soundtracks to both these scores don't exist although, in 2012, the Quartet label managed to produce, after years of trying to locate them, second and third generations of the tapes of the virtually complete original soundtrack of The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes

Tadlow also produced for the Belgian Prometheus label reconstructions of Quo Vadis?, Sodom and Gomorrah and The Thief of Bagdad.  The tapes of the original soundtracks to Quo Vadis? and The Thief of Bagdad don't exist although music and effects tracks do exist for both (i.e. the original soundtracks with various effects heard in the film but without dialogue - apparently prepared for foreign language versions of films). 

These 5 releases of reconstructed scores are excellent and, accordingly, Tadlow, in my estimation, are best placed to attempt a reconstruction of Ben-Hur.  Most of the orchestral score no doubt still exists so the level of reconstruction will not be as great as for other scores.

Certain scenes in the original screenplay which Rózsa wrote music for (in short score) did not make it into the film as they were either cut or never actually filmed.  The music for these scenes was never recorded or fully orchestrated. The Tadlow release, according to comments I have read from an expert on Rózsa's score, includes virtually all of the unrecorded music.  The Tadlow release also includes music that did not make it into the film but has been previously recorded and released.

It was customary in Hollywood for composers' scores to be orchestrated by others (e.g. Korngold, Steiner and Waxman used orchestrators but not Herrmann).  Eugene Zador was Rózsa's orchestrator and will have orchestrated Ben-Hur based on Rózsa's detailed short score.  Rózsa once stated that had he given several accomplished orchestrators his detailed short scores they would each have produced the same orchestration (I assume Zador consulted with Rózsa to ensure his orchestrations matched Rózsa's intentions). For this new Tadlow CD Leigh Philips will have orchestrated the previously unrecorded music based on Rózsa's detailed short score and his knowledge of Rózsa's style.

This is the first ever digital recording of the complete score for Ben-Hur.  The booklet is written by a Rózsa expert.  It seems it will not include many (if any) stills from the film as I have read that the licence owner was, unusually, uncooperative in granting permission.

Juliet Rózsa, in Tadlow's flyer, refers to Ben-Hur as her father's magnum opus.  I think this is fair albeit that Rózsa composed many fabulous film scores several of which, surely, are among the treasures of 20th century music.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: