The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:58:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you loading (or removing) from your portable music player?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you loading (or removing) from your portable music player?  (Read 529 times)
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« on: August 17, 2017, 10:20:49 pm »

With the summer holiday season in full swing, I - like many other members, I imagine? - am grappling with the tough decisions of what music to load up on my portable device, to take with me on vacation.  (I ought to mention that I am not a beach holiday fan - and since I prefer the lakes and mountains as holiday spots, internet coverage where I'm headed is likely to be a bit unreliable).

What do you take with you on holiday?  Favourite works you cannot live without?  Works you've meant to listen to for ages?  Music you feel some moral obligation to hear through, even if you're somewhat uncertain of its likelihood to appeal?  Are there any guilty secrets you feel able to listen to, if safely away from anyone who might notice you enjoying them?  ;)  While Prok 5 is a fine symphony, is its granite intensity really what I want to listen to by the reeds of a summery lake?  ;D

And when it comes to clearing space for the new stuff...  do you find yourself almost morally unable to delete unimpeachable masterworks from your player?  I've had all the DSCH symphonies (some in many recordings) on my player for years now. It seems criminal to delete them... or even relocate them to my desktop for a while. Beethoven, too, clings like a limpet to my storage area - as I never dare admit I've removed Leonore, or the Choral Fantasia.

I rather hoped this might be a pleasant, sunny kind of topic - without any ideological harangues, please?  :)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 01:56:51 pm »

It's a natural catch-up time for a collection 'gannet'. Load 150 recent downloads on the MP3 player, and have it on wherever you go, in your own country or on holiday.
Can change the contents of the player by the week/fortnight/month...whatever fits !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
guest377
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 02:59:48 pm »

most definitely the classics...  lately its been JS Bach Brandenberg Concertos and Suites,  Handel's Water Music and Telemann's Table Music...  and some Beethoven symphonies for good measure... all nice and peaceful music for the beach!
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 09:41:32 pm »

I have a classic iPod with 160 Gb storage, so I can carry a huge amount. What I have on it is a very mixed bag in different styles and genres from different periods, but with a tendency towards the unfamiliar end of the repertoire. All the Casella symphonies but none of Beethoven's, for instance, though I do have all Beethoven's piano trios. Mozart: some of the divertimentos, but none of the masterworks. All Vierne's organ symphonies. Lots of Sorabji. Rossini's Mathilde Shabran. String quartets by Ropartz. And so on. It means that whatever my mood, there's something to fit, and I can make up highly contrasting programmes, where, for instance, a work by Friedrich Fesca is followed by one by Hovhaness.

I very seldom take anything off it, unless to replace it with a better performance, or I find the sound quality is too poor.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: