The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:45:05 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Vaughan Williams' 'Scott of the Antarctic' and two Copland film scores

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vaughan Williams' 'Scott of the Antarctic' and two Copland film scores  (Read 228 times)
patmos.beje
Level 4

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2017, 08:02:52 pm »

With all the interest in the music of Vaughan Williams on this forum I am surprised that no one, to my knowledge, has commented on Dutton’s release of Scott of the Antarctic: the complete score with Martin Yates conducting the RSNO with soprano, organ and women’s chorus.  See: https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDLX7340

For me, film music is one of the major musical mediums of the 20th century and attracted many of the century’s finest composers.  Whilst my main interest is in the scores of Rózsa, Herrmann and Korngold, there are several other composers whose scores I have and would buy. 

My first CD purchase of the year was the Intrada label’s release of Copland’s original soundtrack scores to The Red Pony and The HeiressThe Red Pony had appeared before and, sadly, is incomplete.  The Heiress had never been released, although I had access to very scratchy and poor sounding acetates (which Intrada have improved vastly).  Copland's score was altered without his permission and, it seems, he refused to collect the Oscar he won for it in protest.  Intrada gives us what Copland composed plus the modified opening section.  Anyone who loves Copland’s music should not hesitate to acquire this CD (whilst it remains available).  It is a delight from start to finish. See: http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.10729/.f

Whilst I love VW’s music, I was unenthusiastic about his seventh Symphony.  However, hearing all that he wrote for Scott of the Antarctic has won me to the music which inspired the Symphony.  The CD runs to 79 minutes 48 seconds.  The music was written before VW saw the film and less than half of it made it into the final cut.  Martin Yates reconstructed the score from that used by Ernest Irving in the film, VW’s original finished score and his original drafts.

The recording quality is excellent and the complete score makes for a most enjoyable listening experience.

Yates concludes his CD notes with the following:

"The tale of the desperation and heroism of Scott and his men is perfectly told through this music; so perfectly told, in fact, that the film almost becomes superfluous – perhaps a conclusion that Vaughan Williams himself came to".

In my opinion, this is the most important Dutton VW release since the Early and Late Works CD of 2012 and should be in every VW’s enthusiast’s collection.  A great release!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest145
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 12:50:21 am »

I will definitely be purchasing Dutton's Scott of the Antarctic. I've loved the Sinfonia antartica for decades and am thrilled to have the full score of the film available at last!
Report Spam   Logged
relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 01:37:42 am »

With all the interest in the music of Vaughan Williams on this forum I am surprised that no one, to my knowledge, has commented on Dutton’s release of Scott of the Antarctic: the complete score with Martin Yates conducting the RSNO with soprano, organ and women’s chorus.  See: https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDLX7340

For me, film music is one of the major musical mediums of the 20th century and attracted many of the century’s finest composers.  Whilst my main interest is in the scores of Rózsa, Herrmann and Korngold, there are several other composers whose scores I have and would buy. 

My first CD purchase of the year was the Intrada label’s release of Copland’s original soundtrack scores to The Red Pony and The HeiressThe Red Pony had appeared before and, sadly, is incomplete.  The Heiress had never been released, although I had access to very scratchy and poor sounding acetates (which Intrada have improved vastly).  Copland's score was altered without his permission and, it seems, he refused to collect the Oscar he won for it in protest.  Intrada gives us what Copland composed plus the modified opening section.  Anyone who loves Copland’s music should not hesitate to acquire this CD (whilst it remains available).  It is a delight from start to finish. See: http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.10729/.f

Whilst I love VW’s music, I was unenthusiastic about his seventh Symphony.  However, hearing all that he wrote for Scott of the Antarctic has won me to the music which inspired the Symphony.  The CD runs to 79 minutes 48 seconds.  The music was written before VW saw the film and less than half of it made it into the final cut.  Martin Yates reconstructed the score from that used by Ernest Irving in the film, VW’s original finished score and his original drafts.

The recording quality is excellent and the complete score makes for a most enjoyable listening experience.

Yates concludes his CD notes with the following:

"The tale of the desperation and heroism of Scott and his men is perfectly told through this music; so perfectly told, in fact, that the film almost becomes superfluous – perhaps a conclusion that Vaughan Williams himself came to".

In my opinion, this is the most important Dutton VW release since the Early and Late Works CD of 2012 and should be in every VW’s enthusiast’s collection.  A great release!

I have nothing to say other than this is a great post!  I totally agree.
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 08:19:12 pm »

I have nothing to say other than this is a great post!  I totally agree.
My wallet actually hates posts like these; have already hundreds of RVW CDs and now this one - will it ever end?  :D
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: