The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:00:58 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Malcolm Williamson - Our Man in Havanna

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Malcolm Williamson - Our Man in Havanna  (Read 380 times)
britishcomposer
Level 3

Times thanked: 36

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2017, 07:55:37 pm »

To be broadcast by ABC Classic FM this coming Sunday, a complete performance of Malcolm Williamson's Our Man in Havanna:
http://www.abc.net.au/classic/music-listings/?date=2017-07-16
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 01:03:30 pm »

Oh how wonderful! I  love the Suite. Any chance anyone more technologically-minded could record it for us? I would be so grateful!
Report Spam   Logged
britishcomposer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 08:00:16 pm »

Too late, it's over. I wasn't able to record myself, therefore I posted the link. Perhaps another member recorded it?
Report Spam   Logged
patmos.beje
Level 4

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 09:16:10 am »

Too late, it's over. I wasn't able to record myself, therefore I posted the link. Perhaps another member recorded it?

Happily, it is not too late.  The entire performance can be listened to - for the next 16 days - on: https://radio.abc.net.au/programitem/pe2QYaXPOQ?play=true

I accessed the site from the UK.

See also: http://www.abc.net.au/classic/listen/?page=2       &       http://www.abc.net.au/classic/content/2017/07/16/4700198.htm

I had to specifically enable Adobe Flash Player to get the listen later link to work.

I have made my own recording for private use [in 4 parts including Radio Introduction and recorded at 320 quality]. If anyone would like the recording for their own private use then please send me a personal message and I will send a link to you by personal message.

Report Spam   Logged
britishcomposer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 03:15:17 pm »

Ah, I didn't know that ABC Classic FM has a listen-again service. Thanks!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 03:50:30 pm »

Thanks for alerting me to this. This sounded interesting,with it's use of popular dance music. I have just finished recording it from their website,using Audacity. It might be better to get the recording from britishcomposer,though?! My recording techiques are pretty basic. Press record. Twist egg type timer to 60 mins & so on;and monitoring the recording via headphones,now and again. Hopefully,it will get more sophisticated,as time goes on.....but it does the job!! I will make some cd-r's of this. I don't like listening via the pc (It's upstairs for a start!).
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 05:51:19 pm »

I've listened to the first half of this opera. Very enjoyable,if you like operas. No need to worry about the plot,even. Just enjoy Willamson's clever use of cuban dance and popular music;which permeates the entire score. It deserves a commercial cd release,imho. A genuine,and very welcome surprise.It should be performed more often. Perhaps too tuneful and approachable for it's own good?! Anyone who thinks modern (albeit,not that recent) opera is all tuneless warbling should give this one a try. I also enjoyed Geoffrey Bush's Lord Arthur Saville's Crime.recently. I managed to nab the file while it was still up! Entertaining,with some fun sound effects;and unlike some operas;not too long! I might even buy the Lyrita cd....and I should,really?! I'm just running out of room here!! ::) :(
Report Spam   Logged
patmos.beje
Level 4

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 08:36:32 pm »

A performance is available on YouTube.  See my post under the Youtube performances section for the links.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: