The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:50:55 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Feliks Nowowiejski's "Quo Vadis"

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Feliks Nowowiejski's "Quo Vadis"  (Read 304 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« on: July 11, 2017, 03:18:40 pm »

I have just finished reading the review on Musicweb of Nowowiejski's huge choral work "Quo Vadis" , issued on two cds by Dux.

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2017/Jul/Nowowiejski_Vadis_1327.htm

An off-air recording of an earlier performance has been around for some time.

"Quo Vadis" is an impressive work, full of grand gestures, a splendid statement of early 20th century Polish music-although, admittedly, sounding very Germanic, in the style of someone like Max Bruch. The review is enthusiastic and encourages one to buy the cds..........Until one reads the last paragraph and is reminded that CPO is releasing its own version. How many people, I wonder, will want to have two performances in their collections? If this is another example of CPO having their recording on their shelves for sometime then they have been "trumped" (if this is still an acceptable word these days!) by Dux.

The recently issued cd of symphonies by Julius Rontgen was recorded for CPO back in 2005. That is 12 years ago ::) This is, frankly, ridiculous. If CPO has recordings of works sitting around for that length of time then they will be issuing recordings of works which I/we know they have already recorded after some of us are no longer around.

Now I am realistic enough to appreciate that a lot of music I would like to have on cd will appear after I am gone ;D But it is frustrating to think that some of that music could have been issued much earlier and heard by the living!!!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 06:57:34 pm »

It was similar with the recently released CPO recording of Raff's String Quartets Nos. 2,3,4 & 8, by the Mannheimer Streichquartett. Nos. 4 & 8 were recorded in 2006; nos. 2 & 3 in 2007!
Report Spam   Logged
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 07:30:06 pm »

According to the information given by cpo on the back of this CD-set (cpo 555 089-2) Quo Vadis was recorded live on June, 29, 2016. Venue: Auditorium of the Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznan. So, this recording didn't sit around for 12 years.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 07:47:38 pm »

Thanks for this information. Well, that is certainly much quicker than is usual for CPO  However it does beg the question as to whether or not CPO and Dux had any idea that they both planned an almost simultaneously release of the same work. I find it hard to believe that they did not. They must therefore realise the impact that will have on sales. Some people may buy both versions. Most, I would suggest, will not.
Report Spam   Logged
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 06:13:21 am »

At the German language site Klassik Heute, Rainer Janka gives the cpo recording a 10-10-10 review. So we're spoiled with choice at once. The DUX seems not to have a libretto; the cpo release has.
The DUX is sung by Polish singers in German; I don't know which tongue is sung on the cpo release :-[
http://www.klassik-heute.com/4daction/www_medien_einzeln?id=22277
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: