The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:46:14 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

HENDRIK ANDRIESSEN: Symphony No. 4, Libertas venit - Rhapsody,

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HENDRIK ANDRIESSEN: Symphony No. 4, Libertas venit - Rhapsody,  (Read 229 times)
guest377
« on: July 06, 2017, 11:58:58 pm »

New release in July 2017:

HENDRIK ANDRIESSEN (1892-1981): Symphony No. 4, Libertas venit - Rhapsody, Capriccio, Canzone.
Catalogue Number: 07T001
Label: CPO

Description: Collectors of this series so far will need no urging to acquire this one, whose main works are a three-movement symphony from 1954 which still seems to have dark memories of the war years in its first movement but also has a lovely, restorative slow movement; and a 16-minute Rhapsody (“Freedom comes”) from the same year and marking the tenth anniversary of the liberation of the town of Brabant which is a four-part symphonic poem depicting oppression, liberation, thoughts about the future and an optimistic close. And the 1941 ten-minute Capriccio... well, this has to be the sunniest, cheeriest work ever written by a composer in a country in its second year of Nazi occupation. Netherlands Symphony Orchestra; David Porcelijn.

source: Recordsinternational.com 
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 08:49:31 am »

It's an extremely fine series, very happy with the first three installments and hoping for more to come after the four symphonies. My only reservation is, that each CD is presented as a "Symphonic Works Vol. 1/2/3/4" in stead of standing on their own feet - which makes it much less attractive to buy just the one in the series you want.
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 08:47:37 pm »

Probably you know of this release https://www.amazon.co.uk/Andriessen-Orchestral-Works-Hendrik/dp/B0000260E5/ref=sr_1_11?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1499975086&sr=1-11&keywords=hendrik+andriessen
Alas some of the works on this CD double the cpo series but I can recommend the Miroir de Peine and the Fiat Domine, both expertly sung by Roberta Alexander, as very fine late late romantic orchestral 'songs'.
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 09:08:03 pm »

Probably you know of this release https://www.amazon.co.uk/Andriessen-Orchestral-Works-Hendrik/dp/B0000260E5/ref=sr_1_11?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1499975086&sr=1-11&keywords=hendrik+andriessen
Alas some of the works on this CD double the cpo series but I can recommend the Miroir de Peine and the Fiat Domine, both expertly sung by Roberta Alexander, as very fine late late romantic orchestral 'songs'.

Great to see! I not only know it - actually, I saved a few copies for friends because it's already long OOP - but I lived literally next door when it was recorded in the Saint-Gertrude church (Geertekerk) in the old town of Utrecht, and I remember I saw the broadcast recording team with their 'recording van' parked in front of it for two evenings. Sweet memories.  :D
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: