The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 19, 2024, 08:59:34 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Liechtenstein composer(s)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Liechtenstein composer(s)  (Read 198 times)
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« on: June 27, 2017, 05:07:25 pm »

This thread added to carry on the discussion wrongly in the Downloads section ...

Besides the organ concertos of Rheinberger, one should not neglect his solo organ music. All 20 of his organ sonatas have now been recorded on CD by Wolfgang Rübsam for Naxos. I have a rather interesting book on those sonatas. It is called "The Organ Works of Rheinberger" by Harvey Grace, published by Novello in 1920 (first edition, followed by 15 more until 1932). My copy seems to be the first edition, as there is no mention of previous editions, but it is undated. I see I paid £5 for it, and its previous owner was a resident of Fitzwilliam College Cambridge, but his signature is illegible. It looks like "AEW Macors".

Grace's take on the sonatas is very much from the point of view of the practicing organist; it is full of recommendations as to which movements can be abstracted from their context and played in a liturgical setting.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: