The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 19, 2024, 10:06:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Spanish Music

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spanish Music  (Read 1666 times)
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2014, 03:07:00 pm »

Some more lovely stuff with the Ferran pieces, Mr.Jowcol - thought I was doing OK for his works, but half a dozen tone poems there that I'd no idea of !
Terrific, thanks !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2014, 11:58:22 pm »

Thanks so much for all this fabulous Spanish music. Far too much of that which has been promoted has been political in message and
most of this music is a welcome relief from that sterile subject.
Ferran Ferran is a fine unsung whose music should be heard much more. Perhaps his emphasis on band music has hampered
his acceptance as a highly gifted composer, but often his music is very inspiring and cleverly orchestrated.
He was quite prolific and he is well represented on YT but the labeling is sometimes confusing(to me anyway), but these postings
clear that issue up completely and are deeply appreciated.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ferrer+ferran
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2014, 12:03:18 am »

Thanks so much for all this fabulous Spanish music. Far too much of that which has been promoted has been political in message and
most of this music is a welcome relief from that sterile subject.
Ferran Ferran is a fine unsung whose music should be heard much more. Perhaps his emphasis on band music has hampered
his acceptance as a highly gifted composer, but often his music is very inspiring and cleverly orchestrated.
He was quite prolific and he is well represented on YT but the labeling is sometimes confusing(to me anyway), but these postings
clear that issue up completely and are deeply appreciated.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ferrer+ferran
More Ferrran here, prolific is an understatement.
https://www.youtube.com/user/OfficeFerrerFerran/videos
Report Spam   Logged
jowcol
Level 5

Times thanked: 30

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2015, 07:35:09 pm »

David and Bathsheba by Carlos Surinach

From the collection of Karl Miller

Technically,  he emigrated to the US, but seemed to reamain consistent to Spanish traditions.  So I'm posting him here.

Lee Cass, narrator
CBS Symphony Orchestra
Alfredo Antonini, conductor
[15 May 1960]

Wikipedia Bio

Carlos Surinach (or Carles Suriñach)[1] i Wrokona (Catalan pronunciation: [ˈkarɫəs suɾiˈɲak], Barcelona; Spain, March 4, 1915 - New Haven, Connecticut, United States, November 12, 1997) was a Catalan Spanish-born composer and conductor.

He was born in Barcelona, where he held conducting posts at the Orquestra Simfònica de Barcelona and the Gran Teatre del Liceu. He studied composition with Enrique Morera at the Barcelona Conservatory, then went to Germany, where he studied in Berlin with Max Trapp, and also with Richard Strauss, taking five of Strauss's seminars. In 1948 his opera El mozo que caso con mujer brava premiered in Barcelona. In 1951, he emigrated to the United States, where he became a successful composer for the dance. He became a U.S. citizen in 1959. He composed three ballet scores for the renowned choreographer Martha Graham: Embattled Garden (1958), Acrobats of God (1960) and The Owl and the Pussycat (1978). He also composed for the Joffrey Ballet (Feast of Ashes). His harp concerto was commissioned by Charles Royce for his daughter Maria. The premiere was in Grand Rapids, Michigan, in 1978, with Nicanor Zabaleta playing. The concerto was then performed by maria Royce at Interlochen. The Surinach harp concerto added richly to the harp concerto repertoire; but, unfortunately, it has not been played since.

From the City University of New York:
Born in Barcelona, Spain on March 4th, 1915, Carlos Suriñach arrived in the U.S. in 1951, making his home for many years in New York City. Well known and admired throughout Europe as a first-class conductor, he possessed an almost photographic memory, which allowed him to conduct without a score. Feeling his temperament was more suited to composition, Suriñach continued to conduct, but only as a means to support his composing. Once in New York, Suriñach found his style of composition, based on tonality, out of step with the growing trend among American composers toward serialism, a style which had gained academic popularity in Europe and which Suriñach had hoped to evade in the U.S. Suriñach’s compositional style ran counter to what was being presented as “contemporary” in the concert hall; to put it plainly, his melodic re-imaginings of Spanish folkloric traditions, most especially the modal scales and syncopated rhythms found in flamenco, were out of fashion.

Suriñach supported himself by conducting, and by writing music for commercials and cartoons.  In 1952, a performance of Ritmo Jondo at the Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) in New York City attracted the attention of dancer and choreographer Doris Humphrey. Suriñach expanded the work for Ms. Humphrey to use as a dance score. Not long after, more dance commissions came to Suriñach: from Alvin Ailey, Robert Joffrey, John Butler, Pearl Lang, Francisco Moncion, Antonio, and Martha Graham, all of whom found Suriñach to be a generous and talented collaborator. Countless others, including Paul Taylor, Norman Morrice, Garth Fagan, and Doug Varone have created dances to Suriñach’s music.

Suriñach thought that composers should write for the public rather than for themselves. He compared composing to writing a play, and believed audiences adore unpredictability and surprise. His works do not disappoint. His death in 1997 came as a shock to all who knew him. Although he taught only briefly, accepting a very few short-term positions as a visiting professor, he bequeathed his estate to the BMI Foundation. His legacy makes possible a number of awards, in the form of grants and commissions, in Suriñach’s name.
- See more at: http://www.gc.cuny.edu/News/GC-News/Detail?id=5860#sthash.dmzJWc3u.dpuf

Interview with Bruce Duffie here:  http://www.bruceduffie.com/surinach2.html
Report Spam   Logged

All download links I have posted are for works, that, to  my knowledge, have never been commercially released in digital form.  Should you find I've been in error, please notify myself or an Administrator.  Please IM me if I've made any errors that require attention, as I may not read replies.
guest632
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2017, 02:37:41 am »

Many thanks for the Bertomeu cello concerto, Elroel - a most welcome contribution. I see here that it was written in 1989.

http://digital.march.es/clamor/es/fedora/repository/atm%3A836

Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2017, 07:47:53 am »

Unusual, with a relatively modern composer from a 'major' country, that a scour of the internet produces nothing more in the way of recordings, performances etc..
 He doesn't have a huge output, as the article sourced by Ms. Henrietta makes clear, but there doesn't seem to be a sign of any of it apart from the 6th, & the cello c'to. Shame indeed, they're attractive pieces !
Anyone know better ?
Report Spam   Logged

Clive

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: