The Art-Music Forum
November 19, 2017, 09:26:11 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare (non-copyright) recordings, and discuss all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight. To participate, simply log in or register.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Mascagniís Isabeau at Holland Park 2018

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mascagniís Isabeau at Holland Park 2018  (Read 40 times)
patmos.beje
Level 3

Times thanked: 14

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2017, 08:12:42 am »

Mascagniís 10th performed opera Isabeau gets its, in my opinion, long overdue UK premiere at Opera Holland Park 2018.  Grin Smiley Wink Cheesy

Rehearsed at Teatro Carlo Felice, Genoa prior to Mascagniís South American tour of 1911, it was premiered in Buenos Aires in June 1911 and received its Italian premiere jointly in January 1912 at La Scala, Milan and Teatro la Fenice, Venice.

A romantic opera, loosely based on the Lady Godiva legend, it has many beautiful moments, powerful arias and is superbly orchestrated.  The tenor role, Folco, was sung by Bernardo de Muro just short of 700 times in his lifetime.

Sadly, like most of Mascagniís 15 Operas, Isabeau is now rarely performed.

One of my favourite operas by one of my most favourite composers.  I hope to get tickets unless an Italian performance is announced for 2018, in which case I would happily travel to Italy to see it.

The best available recordings, in my view, are the Dutch Radio performance of 1982 available on Bongiovanni and a live performance from Braunschweig of 2011 (not commercially available). 
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: