The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:38:52 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Dyson Choral Symphony on Naxos - November 2017

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dyson Choral Symphony on Naxos - November 2017  (Read 1423 times)
patmos.beje
Level 4

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« on: June 21, 2017, 10:18:52 am »

There is an earlier thread on Dyson's Choral Symphony (Psalm 107) which can be found at: http://artmusic.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,5613.0.html

Hoping it would be a 2017 release, in looking for information on the release date, I have found confirmation that it was recorded in February and is due to be released on 10th November.  There is also a link to a YouTube video of the recording session: http://www.thebachchoir.org.uk/news/new-recording-completed/    :) ;D :D

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 04:25:44 pm »

That's great news, thanks! I'm particularly looking forward to a new (stronger than the Somm recording) version of St Pauls Voyage to Melita, a marvellous score...
 :)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
patmos.beje
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 07:16:02 am »

That's great news, thanks! I'm particularly looking forward to a new (stronger than the Somm recording) version of St Pauls Voyage to Melita, a marvellous score...
 :)

I agree.  A score I have listened to a lot and which I return to at regular intervals. Whatever the Choral Symphony is like, the prospect of a new, hopefully better, version of St. Paul's Voyage to Melita makes the CD a great prospect.   ;D
Report Spam   Logged
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 09:14:26 am »

Dyson never fails to please, in my opinion.
Report Spam   Logged
guest251
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 08:14:06 am »

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Naxos/8573770
Report Spam   Logged
patmos.beje
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 02:03:42 pm »

Also:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dyson-Symphony-Elizabeth-Bournemouth-Orchestra/dp/B075VVPN3R/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1506603485&sr=1-1&keywords=george+dyson+st+pauls+voyage+to+melita

The Pizzetti Symphony was available to download in digital format (e.g. flac, mp3 etc.) from Chandos prior to its physical release date.  I presume this may also be the case for the Dyson. 
Report Spam   Logged
patmos.beje
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 11:12:25 am »

Paul Spicer's booklet notes to accompany the new CD are now available on the Naxos web page and can be viewed by clicking on 'About this Recording'. 

See: https://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.573770
Report Spam   Logged
patmos.beje
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 02:35:00 pm »

Excerpts from the Choral Symphony and St Paul's Voyage to Melita can be heard at:

https://soundcloud.com/naxos-deutschland/d8573770
Report Spam   Logged
relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 01:21:55 am »

Excerpts from the Choral Symphony and St Paul's Voyage to Melita can be heard at:

https://soundcloud.com/naxos-deutschland/d8573770

I liked it quite a bit.  Looking forward to hearing the full recording.
Report Spam   Logged
patmos.beje
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 04:30:50 pm »

My copy of the CD arrived on Friday and I have listened to it several times.  :D ;D :)

I find the Choral Symphony an attracive piece, effectively constructed and orchestrated, bearing several hallmarks of later Dyson with some lovely lyrical and dramatic moments.  A worthwhile addition to the Dyson discography.  It does, in my opinion, disclose how much Dyson in his later choral works progressed to a more sophisticated style and a higher level of lyrical inventiveness and dramatic impact. 

Much as I am pleased to have the Choral Symphony, what I am likely to return to more often is St Paul's Voyage to Melita in a fine recording which, for me, accentuates its merits to a greater degree than the two previous performances I have.  I would struggle to name my three favourite Dyson works.  However, in addition to The Canterbury Pilgrims, St Paul's Voyage to Melita would be guaranteed a place.

Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2017, 08:35:58 pm »

Yes, I think that I agree with the general thrust of your assessment. The Choral Symphony is certainly attractive but it does not match the composer's later, more mature choral works. To argue, as Paul Spicer does in the cd booklet notes, that it could be an equal and alternative to the Vaughan Williams Sea Symphony is I think a little exaggerated. Worth hearing certainly but Dyson himself clearly had a higher estimate of his later music and was right to do so.
Report Spam   Logged
patmos.beje
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 12:21:03 am »

Yes, I think that I agree with the general thrust of your assessment. The Choral Symphony is certainly attractive but it does not match the composer's later, more mature choral works. To argue, as Paul Spicer does in the cd booklet notes, that it could be an equal and alternative to the Vaughan Williams Sea Symphony is I think a little exaggerated. Worth hearing certainly but Dyson himself clearly had a higher estimate of his later music and was right to do so.

I thought Spicer's comparison to the Sea Symphony very exaggerated.  I don't view the Choral Symphony as comparable in its melodic or dramatic quality. 

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: