The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:28:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Alun Hoddinott Symphonies on Lyrita ??

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alun Hoddinott Symphonies on Lyrita ??  (Read 1566 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2017, 04:42:24 pm »

I think "difficult" is the wrong word,really. I don't actually find Hoddinott "difficult". However,while some of it is lyrical,even richly so,in a dark,celtic kind of way;it also has that abrasiveness,which Dundonnell refers to. I can write,draw,read and carry out various dull,repetitive household tasks  ;D while listening to Daniel Jones,Mathias and allot of Grace Williams,and even Fricker! Hoddinott,however,is a composer I really have to put everything down and listen to. Not such a bad thing,and that's the way I should be listening,anyway! you might say?! Unfortunately,I have other things I need to do in the evening which mean I can't always listen that way! Also,I'm not sure his line of "abrasive modernism",as Dundonnell refers to it (if that's the right term?) really appeals to me. That said,there is undoubtedly allot of gorgeous orchestration there. Indeed,it is probably that mix of "angular modernism","abrasiveness" (or whatever you should call it?) colour and rich lyricism which makes him so,undoubtedly,intriguing and why people like me will keep on trying! Daniel Jones,is,admittedly,more my cup of tea though!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: