The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:49:48 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Alun Hoddinott Symphonies on Lyrita ??

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alun Hoddinott Symphonies on Lyrita ??  (Read 1548 times)
relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2017, 01:45:52 am »

Abrasive modernism is a good way of describing some of his music. I think he is the most 'difficult' of the 'big four' Welsh composers. Although,David Wynne probably gets that accolade,from what little I've heard. Unlike Hoddinott,I'm afraid I haven't really found anything that interesting,that I've wanted to try again. Although,I must admit I have. Wynne's music seems to inhabit a soundworld typical of a certain period c 1960's,particularly,that I find unappealing. All the more disappointing,as his music had been on my 'want to hear list' for years! (Maybe the quality of the sound files doesn't help,however;and he was prolific. Maybe there's something in his  output I might like?) Alun Hoddinott,on the other hand uses allot of very colourful orchestration in his music,indeed. There is also a dark,sometimes quite rich,lyricism there which is genuinely appealing and approachable. But disconcertingly in the same work,of which the Fourth Symphony is a prime example,the abrasive modernism you speak of!!

Of course,there's always Karl Jenkins;who allot of people (judging by his sales) seem to find extremely approachable!! ;D

But I don't think he is difficult.  There is a lot of tone painting too. That Chandos Symphony No. 6 cd is more gorgeous than difficult, no?  What am I missing?  The Lyrita recording of 2, 3, and 5 is dynamic but not difficult.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: