The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:44:43 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Alun Hoddinott Symphonies on Lyrita ??

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alun Hoddinott Symphonies on Lyrita ??  (Read 1567 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« on: June 26, 2017, 02:13:42 pm »

I am restraining myself from posting yet another of my lists on here ( ;D) but I have a note of 34 British composers of note born within the 20th century and who composed three or more symphonies. Exactly half of these have all of their symphonies on disc. Several others have half or more of their symphonies recorded.

The composers who stand out from the remainder are Sir Richard Rodney Bennett (one of three), Peter Racine Fricker (two of five), Iain Hamilton (none of four), Alun Hoddinott (four of ten), John McCabe (three of seven), Anthony Milner (one of three), Robin Orr (one of three), John Veale (one of three) and Thomas Wilson (none of four).  The most deserving cases therefore-in my opinion only of course-are Fricker, Hamilton, Hoddinott and McCabe. Of these four McCabe's later symphonies were broadcast after Richard Itter stopped making his off-air recordings. So it would be the symphonies of Fricker, Hamilton and Hoddinott I would be very keen to see Lyrita going for. The symphonies of these three composers would not be to everyone's taste but they are "easier" than, say, those of Humphrey Searle.

.....and, yes, I know that I am leaving Derek Bourgeois aside again but, honestly, I just cannot cope with the incredible number! (Which does NOT mean that I would not like to see some recorded and IF Itter did record any then that would be fine!)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: