The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:57:57 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

COMPOZITOR PUBLISHING HOUSE OF SAINT PETERSBURG CDR (MP3 format)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: COMPOZITOR PUBLISHING HOUSE OF SAINT PETERSBURG CDR (MP3 format)  (Read 639 times)
guest377
« on: June 07, 2017, 10:20:57 pm »

COMPOZITOR PUBLISHING HOUSE OF SAINT PETERSBURG CDR (MP3 format) (2006)

I see that this organization has several mp3s for sale.. or are distributing copies of S. Slonimsky's symphonies according to MusicWeb Russian Symphonies directory.

Does anyone know anything about this?   Looks like they are maybe selling these downloads ??   IDK   

Sinaisky/Leningrad Philharmonic Orchestra
( + Symphonies Nos. 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 10:36:36 pm »

I see that this organization has several mp3s for sale.. or are distributing copies of S. Slonimsky's symphonies according to MusicWeb Russian Symphonies directory.

Does anyone know anything about this?   Looks like they are maybe selling these downloads ??   IDK   

Sinaisky/Leningrad Philharmonic Orchestra
( + Symphonies Nos. 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10)

Dear Mr Hibbard
It is:
http://www.compozitor.spb.ru/eng/catalogue_editions/the_regular/index.php?SECTION_ID=997&ELEMENT_ID=5976
various years recordings
Best
Report Spam   Logged
BrianA
Level 4

Times thanked: 29

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 06:17:35 am »

Dave,

Not sure if this is actually the question you're asking and feel free to set me straight, but these are NOT downloads, they are actual physical CDs with the difference being that the recordings are in .mp3 format, thus enabling them, for example, to fit Slonimsky's first 10 symphonies on a measley two discs.

I own at least three discs of Slonimsky's music on the Compozitor House label:  the two disc set of symphonies 1 - 10, a collection of concertos, (both recorded in .mp3 format), and a disc containing symphony no 11 plus the requiem (I'm not sure, and am not home to check, but I believe the third disc is a regularly recorded CD).  While I've never professed to be a golden-eared audiophile, the two .mp3 discs sound perfectly fine to me.  But, even if there were some compromises in the sound quality, I hold Slonimsky's music in sufficiently high esteem that I would be willing to accept this if it were the only way to hear this music (which, I guess, it is).

As a bit of a digression, I have found the best source for some of these hard to find Russian recordings is ruslania.com.  While I believe (without knowing for sure) that Ruslania is a Russian-owned enterprise, they operate out of Helsinki and provide excellent service (generally less than two weeks delivery time from Finland to Canada) at reasonable prices.  They accept payment via paypal, thus eliminating the requirement of directly requiring your credit card information (something I'm, rightly or wrongly, always a bit paranoid about when it comes to dealing with Eastern European vendors).

Brian
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 01:19:45 pm »

Yes  thanks!!
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 01:15:30 am »

It seems a new service: