The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 18, 2024, 09:25:31 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Mascagni’s Isabeau at Holland Park 2018

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mascagni’s Isabeau at Holland Park 2018  (Read 149 times)
patmos.beje
Level 4

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2017, 08:12:42 am »

Mascagni’s 10th performed opera Isabeau gets its, in my opinion, long overdue UK premiere at Opera Holland Park 2018.  ;D :) ;) :D

Rehearsed at Teatro Carlo Felice, Genoa prior to Mascagni’s South American tour of 1911, it was premiered in Buenos Aires in June 1911 and received its Italian premiere jointly in January 1912 at La Scala, Milan and Teatro la Fenice, Venice.

A romantic opera, loosely based on the Lady Godiva legend, it has many beautiful moments, powerful arias and is superbly orchestrated.  The tenor role, Folco, was sung by Bernardo de Muro 382 times in his lifetime.  It was (almost) annually produced in Italy from 1912 up until the second world war.

One of my favourite operas by one of my most favourite composers. 

There is a Facebook page on the opera: https://www.facebook.com/Mascagnis-Isabeau-375376602662964/

Sadly, like most of Mascagni’s 15 Operas, Isabeau is now rarely performed.

In my life time I am aware of only three definite productions: San Remo (1962), Naples (1972) and Braunschweig (2011).  There was a Utrecht concert performance in 1982, a Czech Radio performance in the early 2000s and, I think, student concert performances in Rome in the last 10 years. I have read there may have been a US performance sometime in the 1990s.

The best available recordings, in my view, are the Dutch Radio performance of 1982 available on Bongiovanni and a live performance from Braunschweig of 2011 (not commercially available). 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 01:43:45 pm by patmos.beje » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: