The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:05:52 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Nikolai Peiko Symphonies

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nikolai Peiko Symphonies  (Read 411 times)
guest377
« on: May 17, 2017, 07:51:20 pm »

Wonder if we will ever see the Svetlanov Symphony cycle of this composer??

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 08:36:27 pm »

Agree! Never thought there was any cycle recorded by Svetlanov! When my father and me were in the USSR - 1970s, 1980s - Peiko's (Николай Пейко) music was widely performed.
Report Spam   Logged
BrianA
Level 4

Times thanked: 29

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 12:11:11 pm »

Just to clarify, Dave, are you saying that there actually was at some point a complete Peiko symphony cycle conducted by Svetlanov?  I wasn't aware of that either, but if I knew for sure it actually existed I would leave no stone unturned to find a copy.

I keep hoping that eventually Martin Anderson at Toccata will do something with Peiko's symphonies as he already has with the piano music, but no sign so far of that happening any time soon.

Brian
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 02:50:45 pm »

Just to clarify, Dave, are you saying that there actually was at some point a complete Peiko symphony cycle conducted by Svetlanov?  I wasn't aware of that either, but if I knew for sure it actually existed I would leave no stone unturned to find a copy.

I keep hoping that eventually Martin Anderson at Toccata will do something with Peiko's symphonies as he already has with the piano music, but no sign so far of that happening any time soon.

Brian

Actually, as you know his widow has licensed a lot of his music to Warner Bros and Sony... so hoping we see some of it.  I may send a note and see what happens...
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 11:21:04 pm »

Brian

Actually, as you know his widow has licensed a lot of his music to Warner Bros and Sony... so hoping we see some of it.  I may send a note and see what happens...

Dear Hibbard
Widow of Svetlanov or Peiko?
Best
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 04:49:52 am »

Svetlanov
Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

Times thanked: 30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 09:35:45 am »

Brian
Even Martin Anderson can't do everything by last week!
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 03:12:46 pm »

I see the new Glazunov 6 CD set in Vol 2 of the Anthology series is manufactured by the Evgeny Svetlanov Foundation..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P72488/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2LQPSW8KSP6MQ

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alexander-Glazunov-Anthology-Svetlanov-2008-10-21/dp/B01M9IVD4O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1496671941&sr=8-2&keywords=Anthology+of+russian+music+vol+2
Report Spam   Logged
BrianA
Level 4

Times thanked: 29

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 03:43:56 pm »

Brian
Even Martin Anderson can't do everything by last week!

Absolutely. but you'll note the key words in my comment were "hoping" and "eventually".   ;D  Delayed gratification is a well established part of my Psyche.

Brian
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 01:36:08 am »

I will be utterly flabbergasted and astounded should a complete Peiko cycle turn up in any form, let alone led entirely by Svetlanov. To the best of my knowledge, Svetlanov only recorded the 4th Symphony commercially (Melodiya LP), and I have never encountered any mention of his involvement in the performance of any other work by Peiko.

My understanding is that there are a total of ten extant Peiko symphonies. Numbers 4, 5, 6, and 7 were recorded and released on Melodiya LPs. Four others have circulated among collectors in live performances. The last two symphonies have never shown up. There was also an earlier recording of the 4th, prior to Svetlanov's, with Konstantin Ivanov (also on a Melodiya LP).

Should I be proved wrong and a cycle does indeed exist, I will be delighted, however!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: