The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:53:47 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Hyperion to record Erik Chisholm's Violin Concerto

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hyperion to record Erik Chisholm's Violin Concerto  (Read 1166 times)
chill319
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2014, 06:05:26 pm »

Nothing to add to this thread except to say thank you for bringing to my attention one of the composers who give me hope.
Report Spam   Logged
guest251
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2017, 12:09:32 pm »

http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/ym.asp?ym=2017_09

Announced for September release
Report Spam   Logged
patmos.beje
Level 4

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2017, 09:15:21 am »

I'd assumed it would be an Autumn release and am pleased to see it confirmed.  ;D

Listening to the extract from the 'Reel' in the 'Dance Suite', it clearly is from a different musical world than the 'Violin Concerto' and 'Piano Concertos'- altogether lighter.  This recording, I presume, may be only its second full performance. Three movements of the suite ('March', 'Urlar' and 'Reel') were performed in Glasgow in 1932 with Chisholm as pianist and John Barbirolli conducting the Scottish Orchestra.  A full performance was given after this at the 11th International Society for Contemporary Music Festival in Amsterdam on 12 June 1933 with Chisholm again at the piano and Constant Lambert conducting the Concertgebouw Orchestra.  That was its only full performance. [From 'Erik Chisholm, Scottish Modernist (1904-1965): Chasing a Restless Muse' by John Purser (2009)].

I am looking forward to this CD release and to hearing the 'Violin Concerto' in an alternative performance to that broadcast in 2015.  :)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: