The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:52:59 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Eshpai Symphony No.6 "Liturgical" + 8

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eshpai Symphony No.6 "Liturgical" + 8  (Read 156 times)
calyptorhynchus
Level 3

Times thanked: 42

View Profile
« on: May 13, 2017, 11:41:01 pm »

Just wanted to know what the words to this Symphony (No.6) were, I assume we have plenty of Russian speakers here. (The Good Music Guide discussion board didn't offer any help).

Might as well also cross post a note I just put up at that site about the 8th Symphony:

"I've just realised that the theme that begins the 8th Symphony, and which also occurs, or variants of it do, in his other works, is very similar to the main theme of Tapiola.

Eshpai makes his theme a bit more liturgical-sounding, but I think it has the same function, viz signifying the forests and the natural world generally.

I guess most probably this is a conscious reference by Eshpai, less likely I suppose is the notion that it might be a common Ugric melodic motif, descending into both Mari and Finnish folkmusic and used unconsciously by both composers!"
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: