The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:12:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Obscure Soviet Symphonies...

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Obscure Soviet Symphonies...  (Read 2205 times)
guest377
« on: May 02, 2017, 09:48:35 pm »

Quite a few Russian symphonic scores were published pre 1917 by  P. Jurgenson or Belaieff in Moscow and Liepzig, Germany.   After the Russian Revolution, some were published by Soviet Music Publishers in Moscow, but not many.   So.. what would a Maximilian Steinberg do with a Symphony if it can't get published?  well it remains in manuscript form and more than likely not performed unless someone handwrites all the parts out.  Glazunov was fortunate enough to have his works still published by Belaieff even after the Revolution.    In fact, it was one of the many reasons he left Moscow for Paris.      However, that may and I repeat "may" explain why so many symphonies are never performed because of the enormous task of publishing a symphonic score and parts and then hoping that an orchestra performs it so it may appear on CD sometime.  Far as I can tell, Steinberg's symphonies 3-5 were never published (1 and 2 were published by Belaieff).

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest377
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 10:17:44 pm »

and there is always an exception: presently looking over a 145 page orchestral score of A. Ilynsky's Noure et Anitra for large orchestra published by P. Jurgenson, Moscow and Liepzig.   why hasn't this score been recorded yet?   I don't even see that it was ever part of the Melodiya catalog... prob about a 45 min performance.
Report Spam   Logged
Holger
Level 3

Times thanked: 25

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 07:08:41 am »

Scores of all three later Steinberg symphonies should be available (even if No. 5 was only published in 1986):
Symphony No. 3 in G Minor, Op. 18 (1928)
http://cornell.worldcat.org/title/troisieme-symphonie-pour-grand-orchestre-op-18/oclc/20499053
Symphony No. 4 in C Minor Op. 24 "Turksib" (1933)
http://cornell.worldcat.org/title/chetvertaia-simfoniia-op-24-dlia-bolshogo-orkestra-turksib-partitura/oclc/11008523
Symphony No. 5 Op. 31 "Symphony-Rhapsody on Uzbek Themes" (1942)
http://cornell.worldcat.org/title/simfoniia-rapsodiia-simfoniia-no-5-dlia-bolshogo-simfonicheskogo-orkestra-symphony-rhapsody-symphony-no-5-for-full-symphony-orchestra/oclc/15066606
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 12:52:34 pm »

thanks Holger for the research... looks like they were published by  Gos. muz. izd-vo, (Soviet Music Publishers or State {Goz.} Music Publishing) or Universal Editions. 

Interesting that No 5 was published as recently as 1986? Perhaps that explains why we have not heard the Sym #5 on either LP or CD. 

Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 01:09:46 pm »

hmm interesting question: if  Symphony no 5 of Max Steinberg was published in 1986 in Leningrad by the Soviet Composer (which is the State Music Publishing house), who holds the international copyrights to the score?   the Russian Gov't since they were the successor to the USSR?   an interesting question for international copyright lawyers.. :D
Back in the USSR days,  artists and composers were paid a lump sum for their works and subsequently signed over their rights to their works...
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 05:12:29 pm »

some interesting info I found on my other thread under Rare Scores about the Soviet Music Publishing House:

In 1918, the company (it was in regard to Jurgenson) was nationalized by the communist regime, as were all other music publishing companies, into a division of the State Publishing House. That same year, Boris Petrovich became the head of the musical division of the State Publishing House. The music division, in 1930, was renamed Gosudarstvennoye Muzykal'noe Izdatelstvo (Государственное музыкальное издательство) — translated as State Music Publishing House, referred to by its short name, Muzgiz, then, in 1964, referred to as Muzika (or Muzyka or Музыка, in Russian).

Following the dissolution of the Soviet Union (1990 to 1991), state-owned enterprises — Muzyka included — suffered from newly imposed austere budgets. Muzyka lost its actual monopoly and its leading positions in several areas. As of 2006, Muzyka was owned by the Russian Federation, but the government was planning to privatize it that year. The strategic plan to resuscitate Muzyka was to focus on educational literature.

However, a little research on google indicates now that Edition Peters is now distributing P. Jurgenson / Muzyka (Russia)  scores....actually perhaps Jurgenson bought back the music scores that the Communists took away??
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 08:35:50 pm »

M.P. Belaieff

Historical Publication Info

History

Founded in 1885 and headquartered in Leipzig by lumber magnate Mitrofan Petrovich Belayev (1836-1904), M.P. Belaieff aimed to promote Russian music and secure European copyright for Russian composers, especially those of the nationalist school like Balakirev, Borodin, Glazunov, and Rimsky-Korsakov. The elaborate, expensively produced color lithograph title pages of M.P Belaieff issues from the late 19th century are highly sought collectors' items today. Offices were maintained in both St. Petersburg and Moscow until they were seized by the Bolshevik regime in 1918. During the First World War, publishing was tied up. Thereafter the company operated in Leipzig. In 1949, M.P. Belaieff moved to Bonn, working in partnership with Boosey & Hawkes. From 1971 until June 2006, the company was led by Peters in Frankfurt. Today M.P. Belaieff runs its own agency near Hamburg and works together with Schott.

[they were able to save many of the scores and plates during WW2 and many were repurchased from dealers where they were stolen from the offices during the War]
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 06:03:46 pm »

whooopps   apparently it was recorded:  A. Ilynsky's Noure et Anitra for large orchestra   does anyone own a listing of the St. Petersburg Academic Symphony Orchestra's self produced CDs  (Академический симфонический оркестр Санкт-Петербургской филармонии)  ??
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 11:13:12 am »

whooopps   apparently it was recorded:  A. Ilynsky's Noure et Anitra for large orchestra   does anyone own a listing of the St. Petersburg Academic Symphony Orchestra's self produced CDs  (Академический симфонический оркестр Санкт-Петербургской филармонии)  ??

DO you have more information on this David? What do you mean when you say "apparently"?

A couple of years ago I wrote some discussion here - http://artmusic.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,868.0.html - about a small section of Noure et Anitra (called "Orgy of the Spirits") which was recorded in the 20s or 30s for Hollywood.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 03:42:23 pm »

DO you have more information on this David? What do you mean when you say "apparently"?

A couple of years ago I wrote some discussion here - http://artmusic.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,868.0.html - about a small section of Noure et Anitra (called "Orgy of the Spirits") which was recorded in the 20s or 30s for Hollywood.

I'm trying to locate a copy of the performance.. when I get to Tallinn.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 05:21:21 pm »

Quite a few Russian symphonic scores were published pre 1917 by  P. Jurgenson or Belaieff in Moscow and Liepzig, Germany.   After the Russian Revolution, some were published by Soviet Music Publishers in Moscow, but not many.   So.. what would a Maximilian Steinberg do with a Symphony if it can't get published?  well it remains in manuscript form and more than likely not performed unless someone handwrites all the parts out.  Glazunov was fortunate enough to have his works still published by Belaieff even after the Revolution.    In fact, it was one of the many reasons he left Moscow for Paris.      However, that may and I repeat "may" explain why so many symphonies are never performed because of the enormous task of publishing a symphonic score and parts and then hoping that an orchestra performs it so it may appear on CD sometime.  Far as I can tell, Steinberg's symphonies 3-5 were never published (1 and 2 were published by Belaieff).

to correct my post, the Max Steinberg symphony no 5 was FINALLY published in 1986 in Leningrad.
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 02:08:46 pm »

I'm trying to locate a copy of the performance.. when I get to Tallinn.

David - did you find anything more out about this apparent Ilynsky recording of Noure et Anitra?
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 09:25:52 pm »

Yes and no.   I was in St. Petersburg with a business associate and since he spoke fluent Russian, we went to both offices of the St. Petersburg Philharmonia Orchestra.... both offices at 2 Mikhailovskaya St, and 30 Nevsky Av address....

The person attending the office said they had a recording of it, but to come back after the next performance and it would be on display for sale. 
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2017, 01:23:26 am »

Max Steinberg's Symphony Nº 4 was recorded and broadcasted

BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra
Conducted by Alexander Vedernikov

Can't find the dates, but I have the recording
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2018, 09:31:49 pm »

Max Steinberg's Symphony Nº 4 was recorded and broadcasted

BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra
Conducted by Alexander Vedernikov

Can't find the dates, but I have the recording

And it was one of my discoveries of the year. A wonderful work as far as I'm concerned. When Gramophone published a snotty review of the symphony I wrote in and they published my 'in praise of Steinberg' letter.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: