The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:44:58 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Erkki-Sven Tüür: Symphony no 1

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Erkki-Sven Tüür: Symphony no 1  (Read 1120 times)
BrianA
Level 4

Times thanked: 29

View Profile
« on: April 22, 2017, 05:30:34 am »

Does anybody have a recording of Tüür's first symphony?  For that matter does anybody know if there actually is a Symphony no 1 by  Erkki-Sven Tüür?  The composer's (apparently official) website makes no reference to a symphony no 1 in the list of orchestral works which causes me to wonder if the composer withdrew/rejected his first symphony.

Anybody know anything?

Brian
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 02:44:50 pm »

I don't have the answer, but when I look to the works on his list: all the works, earlier than 1985, are missing.
It looks like he thinks of them as juvenile works not worthy of his compositions.

I couldn't find any info if the symphony was evere played.

Report Spam   Logged
BrianA
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 04:50:10 am »

I suspect you are right, Elroel.  At least my investigations seem to lead to the same conclusion.  Still, it would be helpful if I could find a clear, unambiguous statement somewhere that "the composer has withdrawn his first symphony", or something to that effect.   :(

Brian
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 02:38:28 pm »

I did some research in Dr Ho's book about Soviet composers... he is not even listed as of the 1982 edition.   Don't see any listing in the Melodiya catalogue.   Check EMIC to see what is there..
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 06:10:53 pm »

http://www.emic.ee/?sisu=heliloojad&mid=58&id=95&lang=eng&action=view&method=teosed

I found information about the symphony.. and there is a 1 minute sample from the performance.
Symphony No 1 / Estonian National Symphony Orchestra, conductor Vello Pähn 
written in 1984  approx. 30' in duration.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 06:11:53 pm »

more than likely since http://www.emic.ee/eng   has a version on their website... they may burn you a full copy for a fee.
send them a note.   
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 06:19:01 pm »

Information about Symphony No. 8
2010 composed
30' in duration

Fp:  Scottish Chamber Orchestra, conductor Olari Elts; April 30, 2010, City Halls, Glasgow, Scotland

FpEst: Estonian National Symphony Orchestra, conductor Olari Elts; March 4, 2011, Estonia Concert Hall, Tallinn
Commissioned by: Scottish Chamber Orchestra
Publisher: Edition Peters
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 07:55:40 pm »

At one time I had all eight Tüür symphonies. Sadly, I lost some in a hard disk crash, not having burned them the CD in time. I'll do some digging in my various external hard drives and see what I might still have.
Report Spam   Logged
BrianA
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 03:20:24 am »

At one time I had all eight Tüür symphonies. Sadly, I lost some in a hard disk crash, not having burned them the CD in time. I'll do some digging in my various external hard drives and see what I might still have.

If you do locate a copy, Latvian, that would be great.  At the same time I am following up on some (very, very tenuous) leads in Estonia.  I'm not especially hopeful but who knows?  I'll let you know if anything comes of it.

Brian
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 03:27:21 am »

If you do locate a copy, Latvian, that would be great.  At the same time I am following up on some (very, very tenuous) leads in Estonia.  I'm not especially hopeful but who knows?  I'll let you know if anything comes of it.

Brian

http://www.emic.ee   Contact the EMIC and see if they will burn you a copy.  They are usually very helpful.   
Report Spam   Logged
BrianA
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2017, 04:58:11 am »

So...still no recording of Tuur's first symphony.  BUT...my search has not been entirely fruitless.  My correspondence with the Estonian Music Information Centre (thanks for that suggestion, Dave Hibbard) did yield the following response:

Dear Mr Adams,

We don’t have the permission to sell this Estonian Public Broadcast’s recording but I replaced the small excerpt with the whole piece for a week.

Best wishes, 

Mariliis Valkonen

EMIC

So if, like me, you have a real hankering to hear Tuur's First, we have this brief window of opportunity.  The link is:   http://www.emic.ee/?sisu=heliloojad&mid=58&id=95&lang=eng&action=view&method=teosed

All the best!

Brian
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 06:09:41 pm »

your welcome !!    yes, it was interesting to hear the whole symphony no 1.
Report Spam   Logged
britishcomposer
Level 3

Times thanked: 36

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 10:17:25 am »

Thank you very much! That's been a desideratum for some years!
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2017, 05:00:13 am »

Many thanks to all of you for this great opportunity. Cheers, Jim
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2017, 05:19:46 pm »

Yes, great...well done. Would be nice if we could get more such 'concessions' !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: