The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:36:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Broadcast rarities from days gone by

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Broadcast rarities from days gone by  (Read 27931 times)
guest2
« on: June 10, 2009, 11:41:36 am »

Two items to-day; first a Stravinsky lollipop: the first British performance of his Elegy for J.F.K. dates from 1964. (The initials J.F.K. are those of a Northern American politician.) The work is scored for baritone and three clarinets; the name of the singer in this performance is not recorded - could he have been Peter Pears? Because the work was new and considered difficult it was sung twice over, without a break for applause.

The second item is Schönberg's Six Pieces for Male Chorus opus 35 composed in 1929 and 1930. Again this was their first British performance. At the time - the mid sixties - the B.B.C. was very assiduously filling all the Schönberg gaps, and I still remember with gratitude my first hearing of his Pelléas and Mélisande. The singers were members of the John Alldis Choir,

and for some unstated reason they omitted the fifth song of Schönberg's six. A year or so later I managed to hear it; its name is "Landesknechte," meaning farm-boys or agricultural labourers, and there certainly are a lot of animal noises to be heard.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: