The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 19, 2024, 08:02:01 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

"Thoughts on Evaluating Unfamiliar Music"

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Thoughts on Evaluating Unfamiliar Music"  (Read 649 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« on: October 26, 2018, 12:29:03 pm »

Walter Simmons is a distinguished American writer about music. He has written a splendid book about the American composers William Schuman, Peter Mennin and Vincent Persichetti ("Voices of Stone and Steel"), which I read with enormous pleasure, and another on romantic Americans ("Voices in the Wilderness") which I have not yet read. He has championed the music of Arnold Rosner. Walter and I have communicated for some years. His website is http://www.walter-simmons.com/

Walter has now written an article for Musicweb entitled "Thoughts on Evaluating Unfamiliar Music". It makes for fascinating reading and I strongly recommend it to others. At the very least the article is thought-provoking and hopefully will provoke discussion.

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2018/Oct/Evaluating_music_Simmons.pdf
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 09:24:23 pm »

Interesting.

I would make two observations:

1) One should be able to say of a piece of music, "This is very good but I don't like it", and conversely, "I love this, but it's dreadful".

2) There is a real difficulty in evaluating unfamiliar music is distinguishing between a bad composition and a bad performance. Obviously, none of the critics at the premiere of Rachmaninoff's 1st symphony could do this, and the course of music history might have been different if they could have.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 12:10:28 am »

Thank you for those comments. When I posted the article I said that hopefully it would provke discussion. Sadly, it didn't :(

I agree very much with both of your comments :)

1) The reaction "this is good music but I don't like it" is my reaction to most, though not all, atonal music and "This is dreadful but i like it" is my reaction to most Sviridov.

2) I think your second point touches on a problem which is even wider than you suggest. Almost inevitably the music of most obscure composers is first encountered, either in the concert hall or, more probably these days, on cds in performances by orchestras and/or conductors who are audibly "feeling their way" into the music. So many times I have thought how much "better" the music would sound if performed by an top-class international orchestra. 
Report Spam   Logged
jimmatt
Level 2

Times thanked: 8

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 04:29:04 pm »

One way I listen studiously to new music is to listen to the overall composition, then go back and listen to the "edges" of the music where it seems I can better hear such things as counterpoint more clearly.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: