The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:53:47 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Louis Fremaux (1921-2017)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Louis Fremaux (1921-2017)  (Read 388 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« on: April 01, 2017, 01:14:43 am »

I had not heard of the recent death of the French conductor Louis Fremaux, known to many of us in the UK as the former principal conductor of the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra.

I am not able to access easily all the details of Fremaux's career but there is an excellent obituary written by Rob Barnett on Musicweb.

It is not so long ago that, in posting about the death of George Pretre, I noted that Fremaux and Skrowaczewski were amongst the living nonagenarian conductors. Now both have died. Jan Krenz is 90 and Herbert Blomstedt, Michael Gielen, Serge Baudo and Raymond Leppard will shortly reach that age.

Fremaux's performance of Humphrey Searle's "Labyrinth" and of music by John McCabe testify to his championing of British music while in Birmingham.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

BrianA
Level 4

Times thanked: 29

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 03:04:40 am »

And in other related news:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06VY96TRW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Rather an attractive package that I may be tempted to acquire myself as the old discretionary spending account permits.

Brian
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 07:09:36 pm »

Many, many fine recordings from this man. His Berlioz Requiem is still my favorite recording of that monumental work. Also, an exciting Walton First Symphony, among many others.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: