The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:16:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Coke Piano Concerto No.4 on Radio 3

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coke Piano Concerto No.4 on Radio 3  (Read 731 times)
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« on: March 31, 2017, 11:43:28 am »

Next Wednesday (5th April) around 2.10pm Roger Sacheverell Coke's Piano Concerto No.4 will be broadcast as part of 'Afternoon on 3'. As this is from the imminent Hyperion release no off-air recording of the broadcast should be made freely-available.

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

shamus
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 08:03:59 pm »

I am underwhelmed by this concerto, not that it isn't pleasant or played well, just doesn't seem to have a coherency or memorable themes or development that grab me. Thereby claim I my membership in the Philistine club.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 01:39:22 pm »

I recorded it yesterday,via the Radio 3 website,for my own study purposes. I will have to listen to it again before I can really pass judgement. I find you need to listen more than once. The biggest surprise was that Scriabin seems to have been an influence. All I can say is that,I did enjoy the first movement. Lots of loud,stormy outburst from the orchestra. All it needed was Anton Walbrooke and Merle Oberon,I thought! Or what's that film where the doomed composer is playing his concerto as a fire literally brings the house down? (Hangover Square!). But a Hollywood movie would have a catchy melody? Well,I thought......there are plenty of enjoyable late romantic piano concertos without particularly great tunes;and,incidentally, that's why Rachmaninov's are so popular even if you're someone who doesn't like them! The problems for me really started in the second movement. It just seemed to meander along,and,try as hard as I might the music just didn't seem to go anywhere. The final movement followed in the same manner. Even worse,the stormy outbursts that had seemed quite exciting,or fun (depending on how you look at it) seemed coarse and jarring. I didn't think much of Holbrooke's First Piano Concerto (a composer I quite like,usually) but even that seemed pretty professional by comparison! Now,of course,I've only listened to it once;so it might all come together for me the second time around,and I will be eating my words here! I sincerely hope I am!! Also,Coke had all kinds of personal problems and mental health issues,which could have made composing more difficult. Quite frankly I'm amazed that he was able to accomplish as much as he did (I'm just popping off my own ambitious,romantic Piano concerto,by the way!! ;D). I have also enjoyed his solo piano music and the sole example of chamber music I have heard;which were well worh unearthing,imho!
Interestingly,I also recorded the Nocturne by the Welsh composer Morfydd Owen,who still holds a certain fascination here in Wales (Glamorous,died in mysterious circumstances,possibly murdered?!!!) Her modest and hardly epoch making,but very finely crafted Nocturne seemed everything this ambitious Piano Concerto wasn't,in some ways! Superior light music,possibly;but well worth an occasional hearing,imho. I thought it was absolutely lovely!!

Hope to eat my words (about the Coke)!! :( ;D
Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

Times thanked: 30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 05:33:52 pm »

Hope to eat my words (about the Coke)!! :( ;D
"Let them eat Coke", as in?...
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 06:39:37 pm »

Let's hope it's not as terminal?!! :( ;D
Report Spam   Logged
patmos.beje
Level 4

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 07:10:20 pm »

I listened to the Concerto on Wednesday and made a recording which I listened to again on my iPod whilst going for a 5 mile walk.

I have gone off romantic piano concertos, after an initial enthusiasm with Hyperion's RPC series, except for the ones that - in my view - really stand out as musically memorable.

I thought the Coke 4th to be very professional sounding - well written for the piano and quite well orchestrated.  In terms of style, it was not at all distinctive.  Lots of influences - Scriabin came to mind.  In terms of memorability, it was a theme in the third movement that stuck in my mind.

A couple of listens is insufficient to form a considered view, so I will need to give it more of a chance.

However, an initial assessment is: better than expected but not one I am likely to return to often.  Nonetheless, I will certainly buy the CD when it is released (October I have heard).
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: